AT&T customers - 1MMS = 4SMS?

Discussion in 'iPhone' started by Kevster89, Oct 26, 2009.

1. Kevster89 macrumors regular

Kevster89

I remember that when Apple first announced MMS brought to the iPhone on 3.0, AT&T confirmed that after the delayed release of MMS for AT&T iPhones that MMS messages would cost no extra than regular SMS messages.

I heard a rumor a while back that 1MMS would simply reduce your monthly allocation of SMS by 4. Or, in other words, 1MMS = 4SMS. Does this currently hold true for iPhone AT&T customers?

Thanks! :)

:apple: Kevin :apple:

2. yg17 macrumors G5

yg17

3. Kevster89 thread starter macrumors regular

Kevster89

Thanks for the info. I have unlimited SMS but was just wondering out of curiosity in case I ever decide to drop the unlimited-SMS plan.

I couldn't find any concrete answer to this question on the web, including the AT&T website, so thanks for providing this information!

4. timmciglobal macrumors member

Perhaps your friend who told you this was sending a MMS to 4 people? The # of recipients is the issue with mms sometimes. Send 1 message to 10 people and you get charged for 10 messages.

Tim

5. scaredpoet macrumors 604

scaredpoet

Not that this matters much on the iPhone, but 1 MMS = 1SMS + data. So those on AT&T who don't have a data plan might see issues, as they'll see data charges racking up with their MMS messages.

But again, since the iPhone on AT&T requires a data plan, this is a non issue... for most, anyway.

6. the.sheepdog macrumors regular

the.sheepdog

7. Clete2 macrumors 65816

Clete2

The data charges are included with a SMS/MMS package. You don't get charged for data if you don't have a data plan.

8. Rodimus Prime macrumors G4

Rodimus Prime

false.

If you do not have a data plan and you sent a MMS you get charge data for it. If the person receiving the message does not have a data plan they get charged Data to receive it.

My sister phone gets charged about a little each month for the MMS she sends and receives as her account lacks data.

9. uberamd macrumors 68030

uberamd

10. leomac08 macrumors 68020

leomac08

and he said "it was good":p

11. ngenerator macrumors 68000

ngenerator

To get back on topic, I believe it was a different iPhone carrier that was doing the 1 MMS=4 SMS equation, I'm not sure what country it was, but ATT is 1 MMS=1 SMS for billing purposes

12. pvmacguy macrumors 65816

pvmacguy

False

If you have any kind of messaging package, the data done with and MMS is covered under that pkg. Your sister is using other data on the device.

13. OllyW Moderator

OllyW

Staff Member

O2 in the UK.

14. Rodimus Prime macrumors G4

Rodimus Prime

No.... You are incorrect. Unless you want to explain why my mother also each data everytime an MMS is sent.

ATT treat MMS as data + SMS. The logic you are using only applies in other countries.

also the data usage time and data on her phone per the online bill always lines up with the MMS being sent..... It lines up on all the phones on the family plan with out a data package. If a MMS is sent they get killed for the data.

Go digging though ATT a little bit and you will see that MMS required either a pay per use of data plan or a data plan. You get charge an SMS text plus the data to download/Send the picture. You can set your phone up not to automatically download pictures to avoid data charges.

15. Clete2 macrumors 65816

Clete2

False on your part.

We have a family SMS plan through AT&T and I send my sister ~40 pictures a month (back and forth) and we get charged nothing.

16. uberamd macrumors 68030

uberamd

You are correct, and I confirmed this with AT&T. If you place a data block on a phone, it prevents MMS from reaching the phone because MMS uses the data feature, HOWEVER that data costs $0 per message, it just counts as a SMS.

This is a verified fact in the US on AT&T, don't try to dispute it.

17. pvmacguy macrumors 65816

pvmacguy

No sir you are indubitably fasle! I worked for at&t for 3.5 years so I am 100% sure that data usage used sending a picture is covered through any text messaging package you have. This has been confirmed by myself, and two other people. Give your argument up now.

18. Daiden macrumors 6502a

Daiden

Uhh, I'm not saying that you're wrong, but simply saying something is "verified" does not make it so.

19. Kadman macrumors 65816

Kadman

This is definitely not true. I'm the only one with a data plan on our account of 5 phones. MMS messages are used regularly and we have never received a single charge for data usage. Before I allowed everyone to simply send MMS at will on our plan I looked it up on the AT&T site and they pretty clearly outline the fact that you won't be charged for data on an SMS plan.

20. hexonxonx macrumors 601

Very true. We have one iPhone using a GoPhone sim. We only had the 200 SMS messaging plan which included MMS and we didn't have a data plan. We only got charged for each SMS/MMS message and there was no extra charge for data.

21. uberamd macrumors 68030

uberamd

Sure it does. It is just like me going outside and verifying the sky is indeed blue on a clear sunny day.

AT&T doesn't charge for MMS data. The 'sister' in question must be accidentally opening the browser on her phone or something of that sort.

22. marzy macrumors member

.... Im sure this is worthy of OWNED.

"This is a verified fact in the US on AT&T, don't try to dispute it."

"Uhh, I'm not saying that you're wrong, but simply saying something is "verified" does not make it so."

O I swear this is sig worthy.

23. pvmacguy macrumors 65816

pvmacguy

Ayyyeee :rolleyes:

Attached Files:

24. Le Big Mac macrumors 68020

Le Big Mac

And email.

I blocked all SMS/MMS rather than pay even more for the capability. For me there's just no point in SMS. Of course, the cool kids shake their heads at "gramps" when I walk by.

25. iphones4evry1 macrumors 65816

iphones4evry1

I believe the original poster truly did not know. Okay, it's over now. Someone please lock this thread before everyone freaks out when they see the title of this thread in the forums and practically has a heart attack before they read that it's not true.