Carrier AT&T data plan question.......

Discussion in 'iPad' started by dloreski, Nov 12, 2013.

1. dloreski macrumors member

I have 5 phones on my AT&T account.
    When I bought an original ipad years ago, I could just activate the data plan when I needed it and then turn it off after 30 days if I wanted. Doing it this way, it was not hooked up to my cell plan at all.
    I thought from reading Apple's site that it would still work that way if I wanted.
    I stopped in the AT&T store today and was told if I bought it from them it HAD to be set up on my existing plan.
    Does anyone know if I can still do it one month at a time and not have it linked to my cell plan?
    Thanks!
    - Dave

2. YodasMaster macrumors member

I'm not sure how things work buying directly of AT&T. But if you buy from Apple you can still purchase one month at a time. I'm not sure why AT&T would be any different. Perhaps they are trying to push the share plan on you?

3. Patriot24 macrumors 68030

Patriot24

While technically not illegal, this is essentially a scam on the part of the carriers.

You are correct that you should be able to activate and deactivate the plan via Settings as you see fit without entering into any kind of contract or post-paid plan (although you might need a new SIM each time you deactivate/activate).

Essentially, Apple strong-armed them into providing a pre-paid, contract-free plan administered over the web via Settings.app. Any chance that they get to in turn strong-arm the customer into entering into a post-paid plan, they will.

tl;dr - Don't buy from a carrier store

4. barkomatic macrumors 68040

This person is misinformed. You absolutely can go month to month on the AT&T iPad as long as you pay the full retail price. However, if you are getting some type of discount or subsidy for the iPad then AT&T can indeed force you onto a postpaid plan.

5. rui no onna macrumors 603

rui no onna

+1. Getting it from the Apple Store is your best bet. Much better service all around. Only reason I'd consider getting it from the carrier is if you're getting it with subsidy or on installment (e.g. AT&T Next or T-Mobile Jump).

6. nostresshere macrumors 68030

AT&T has many different plans for ipad. Either on family share, or the 1 gb for up to 3 months, and I think a daily one too.

And of course, NO plan at all if you do not want it for a month.

AT&T person did not know what they were talking about.

7. rui no onna macrumors 603

rui no onna

The $5/250MB/1-day and $25/1GB/3-month pass are just additional options on prepaid so it's still basically just choosing between prepaid and postpaid. Once you're on prepaid, you've got plenty of options to choose from and can easily switch plans or cancel/resume service.

8. Ladybug macrumors 65816

Ladybug

I bought mine at Apple, and signed up for the 1 day plan of 250 mb to activate my account. They sent me an email 30 mins prior to my time running out so I could use the rest of my data before time expired. Now I just have to buy more data as needed. The plans are clearly marked as (no auto renew) if you don't want them to keep charging you without your consent.