AT&T: Data plan required?

Discussion in 'iPhone' started by skwoytek, Jun 13, 2008.

1. skwoytek macrumors 6502a

I thought the data plan was required, which seemed a little excessive considering every other AT&T smartphone can be had without data. However, the current iPhone 3G page doesn't appear to stipulate that data is required.

Link to AT&T iPhone 3G page

First, the page reads as though you can add a data plan.

Second, the page shows the prices as 16GB $299* and 8GB $199*. The asterisk reads,

Finally, the Press Release (PDF) states similar optional language regarding a data plan.

2. saDeRmac macrumors regular

Not to sound asinine, considering that the device was made so that it could be used anywhere you have 3G or EDGE coverage, why wouldn't you get the plan? I mean to me it kinda defeats the purpose of getting an iPhone vs. an iPod Touch... I dunno thats just me venting from all of the dumb posts that I've been reading.

Truth is I think you may be right... so I dunno, we will have to see...

3. note235 macrumors 6502a

4. Michael CM1 macrumors 603

I need to write a column about this and get it posted online. :)

People wouldn't get the plan because it's $30 that may not be worth it. Take away the 3G/EDGE data connection and you've still got a kickass phone/iPod/PDA. You also have all the iPhone features when you're near WiFi. I have WiFi at home (as I'm sure about all of us do), and if I had it at work, $30/month for the one day a month I'd need that data outside of those two places would be kind of a rip.

Honestly, if there was an iPod Touch that just added the phone capability, I'd be all on that. I am averaging less than 100MB of EDGE use per month. Most of that is e-mail. Honestly, I just wanted an iPhone for the "best iPod we've made" plus phone combo. The contacts work much better than anything I've ever had. It's kinda nice to have an Internet connection anywhere, but it really has barely (if even) been worth that $20.

There might not be as many people like me on here, but I know my peoples are out there. I'm sure a lot of you use it like crazy. At work, I sit in front of a computer and browse the Internet (I design pages for a newspaper). At home, it's about the same. If I could ever ditch the data plan, I think I would. At the very least, I'd really love one with much more limited data for about $10/month. Will AT&T do that? Probably not.

5. kymac macrumors 6502a

kymac

same for me.. i wouldnt need the data plan.. its something i could live withough im thinking.. this would be the deciding factor for me to switch over from verizon.

6. stlwx21 macrumors member

In additon, 3G might not be available in your area. So you could initially leave off the data plan and wait until 3G becomes available in your area, then add the data plan. This is the situation which I may be facing here in a few months.

7. skwoytek thread starter macrumors 6502a

My girlfriend is going to school at San Diego State where she has excellent WiFi coverage and of course we have WiFi at home. She doesn't think she'd need a data plan - if she does, we'll add it.

Me, I'm addicted to the current iPhone and MUST have unlimited data and 3G will be worth the upgrade. Last month I went through 400MB of data according to my AT&T bill. That was a slow month, with 3G I'll surely surpass that.

8. ipodtouchy333 macrumors 65816

Me too since I won't be getting 3g until the end of this year.