AT&T Deposit w/ Failed Credit Check - $ Amount?

Discussion in 'iPhone' started by Freedomflyer, Jul 1, 2008.

1. Freedomflyer macrumors newbie

So if I fail the credit check, what amount will I be expected to deposit?
    It seems like i've heard $500...but thats...a lot!

2. Natesac macrumors 6502a

Natesac

I have a $500 deposit with basically no credit. no bad or good it sucks. never had a credit card

3. aerospace macrumors 6502a

Its refundable if you pay your bill so as long as you have the dough its not a big deal. I think after 6months they deduct some of it off each monthly bill you would have to pay and its gone by the end of the normal 2 year period.

4. citron230 macrumors 6502a

citron230

the most I have ever heard was $1000. a friend of mine a couple years back had defaulted on student loans. I put him on my account with his wife a couple years back. This was about 5 years ago.

5. agentornge33 macrumors newbie

found this person on Consumerist who had to put down a $750 deposit...

6. luckygyrl83 macrumors 6502

It can be between 200-1000. I paid 200 when I was younger, but I didnt have any credit. Just go to an ATT store, give them your info and they can tell you ahead of time what it will be.

7. SFStateStudent macrumors 604

SFStateStudent

Yep, I have a feeling it's going to be rather high. It's a sad state of affairs when you have to get a cosigner for a cell phone.:( I wish all of you good luck! AT&T and all those big carriers must really want their money...:(

8. animenick65 macrumors 6502

If money is that tight and your credit that bad then why are you getting such an expensive phone with such a high monthly cost?

9. saxamoophone macrumors regular

lol, well duh.

If you can't manage your money why should they risk you walking away with a $600 phone for $200 plus all the start up costs they have to pay. =p

10. DreamPod macrumors 65816

DreamPod

That's not what they are worried about, what they are worried about is someone racking up 10,000 minutes in a month and then not paying it. Which I think is dumb, since they could, you know, just say "OK, this guy has a bad credit score, let's cut off his service completely when he reaches the end of his allocated minutes".

And having a bad credit score doesn't necessarily mean you can't manage your money. 9 years ago I had a year with no/very little income. Of course in that year I racked up huge debts, it's how I survived. After that year I finally got my job, and it was a nice, high-paying one. As I worked over the years I paid of my debts, but I still had a crappy credit score. Even now after those debts are gone from my credit reports, my credit *score* is still considered a bit low - the debts by law disappear from your credit reports after a certain amount of time (7 years in my state), but there are no laws saying the credit score has to take that into account.

11. M0bile macrumors regular

I have no credit. I didn't have to put any money down.