"AT&T" displayed on a Wi-Fi Only iPad 3?

Discussion in 'iPad' started by awc71, Mar 18, 2012.

1. awc71 macrumors newbie

Today at brunch I gave my mother a new iPad for her birthday, Wi-Fi only, which I was able to pick up from the local Best Buy Mobile store.

Upon registering and starting it up at her house, my mother called and asked me why it was displaying the AT&T name in the top left corner.

Does anyone know why this may be occurring? I thought the Wi-Fi only models had no ability to detect the AT&T (or Verizon) network.

Did Best Buy give me the wrong model?

2. jburns macrumors regular

3. r.j.s Moderator emeritus

r.j.s

The WiFi models can't pick up cell networks, so if it is showing AT&T, then it is not a WiFi only model.

4. mpaquette macrumors regular

I don't think that's possible with a wifi only model. They must have given you one with AT&T.

5. IllIllIll macrumors 6502a

Sounds like Best Buy gave you the wrong model and you saved $30.

6. donnaw macrumors 65816

Have her look at the back corner opposite the camera. If there is a little hole there you have an AT&T device. That's the sim tray. Or I guess she could go to Settings and see if there is Cellular listed.

7. jazzy639 macrumors member

Why check for holes when you can just check to see if it has the black plaster bar running along the top? The wifi only models are just aluminium.

It's possible someone has a wireless network with an SSID of "AT&T".

8. deeddawg macrumors 604

I think the big black stripe at the top of the rear casing might be a bit easier to see. If ther, it's a 4G unit, if not its wifi.

9. DotCom2 macrumors 68030

I was wondering the same thing. My iPad 2 was an AT&T model and didn't show anything about being connected to AT&T when I hadn't purchased a data plan.
    Now on my new iPad 3 which is also an AT&T model, its showing 1bar and AT&T!!! I don't have a data plan so why is it showing this?:eek:

10. JBaker122586 macrumors 65816

Because it shows signal when there is a signal, even if you can't do anything with it.
    If you go into settings and turn off cellular network, it won't show up there.

11. DotCom2 macrumors 68030

Ahhhh thank you.
    I didn't notice that setting was set to on.

12. donnaw macrumors 65816

Lol, you're right. I've never had a wifi only so I forgot those don't have the black bar.

13. brand macrumors 601

brand

How do you figure, the 4G LTE version cost an additional $129?

14. IllIllIll macrumors 6502a

Oops, you're correct. Should be $130, not $30.

15. awc71 thread starter macrumors newbie

Thanks!

Thanks all for the quick replies. Looks like I'll need to check in with her and see what she has tomorrow. (She's asleep by now.)

Judging by your input and what she says she sees, I'm guessing they slipped up and gave me the wrong model. Then again, Mom's eyes aren't what they used to be, so I may need to venture out and see it myself at some point.

FWIW, despite nearing 70, my Mom was as happy as a kid on Christmas morning with her new toy. Now I just need to upgrade my first gen. :D

Thanks again for the consult!