AT&T + Dobson = iPhone in Alaska?

Discussion in 'iPhone' started by russell.h, Nov 29, 2007.

1. russell.h macrumors regular

According to this article AT&T has completed its buyout of Dobson (actually, as of November 15th).

It also states
    So my questions are:

1. Even if Alaska is not one of those "select nonoverlapping markets" should it soon no longer be considered "off net"? The reason being that if you use more than 6mb or 40% of your total allowed minutes "off net" for 2 consecutive months AT&T claims the right to do all sorts of bad **** to you.

I go to college in Oregon and would love to get an iPhone, but I will be spending 3 months in Alaska every summer and would burn through 6mb in a few minutes (ie, about as fast as EDGE would let me).

2. Does Dobson have a 3g network in Alaska? Would a 3g iPhone be able to take advantage of it without incurring any of the bad **** I mentioned above?

Thanks,

Russell

2. MatthewStorm macrumors 6502a

MatthewStorm

3. russell.h thread starter macrumors regular

That kind

4. cpfay macrumors newbie

5. russell.h thread starter macrumors regular

6. zakee00 macrumors regular

zakee00

I'm so excited! :D:D:D

I use MTA wireless right now in Alaska and it's HORRIBLE. Cellular One has good reception now and since AT&T bought them it's going to get even better.

After some debate on whether to buy now or wait for a new one, I think I'm going to buy now. I don't care about 3g (and no, it's not available yet in Alaska) and it seems that most future updates will be software updates.

iPhone here I come :p

7. ArchivalQuality macrumors newbie

3G is not available in Alaska on AT&T, but ACS has 3G. Too bad they're CDMA.

8. zyuzin4 macrumors 6502

I've used 101MB edge data since moving up here in August with my iPhone.

9. zakee00 macrumors regular

zakee00

Ah, thats interesting..and they are owned by GCI, correct?

Weird to have it in Alaska before many places in the lower 48 have it. It's probably only in the Anchorage area.

10. ArchivalQuality macrumors newbie

Yes, it's only available in Anchorage.

ACS and GCI are competitors. ACS operates their own network. GCI has a wireless service using Dobson/AT&T's network but it isn't competitive with ACS.

11. zakee00 macrumors regular

zakee00

took the plunge last night. Writing this from my iPhone at my friends Christmas party :) coverage is amazing, and edge speeds are better than expected. Keyboard is also much better than expected; you just have to trust it and it does an excellent job of predicting text. So bottom line: don't buy an iPhone in alaska so I can be the only person with one! :D

12. AkMac91 macrumors newbie

You contradicted yourself..... AT&T "promises" to have their 3G network available by the end of Q1. I learned this information when i was standing in line with my girlfriend to pick her iPhone up. i believe it was the AT&T Anchorage Manager who relayed that information to me. Although everyone is excited for 3G up here, watch out for your battery life :)

13. ltldrummerboy macrumors 68000

ltldrummerboy

Still no 3G in Alaska. I wish they would just keep their mouths shut instead of getting my hopes up.

14. kryptek macrumors newbie

3g was too launched

Yeah it was, your in kenai area?

Matsu, and anchorage area upto potters marsh have 3g network...
    was launched about a month or two ago i THINK..

So get your facts right before you talk!