AT&T does not allow me to upgrade 2G to 3G iPhone

Discussion in 'iPhone' started by westlakers, Jan 21, 2009.

1. westlakers macrumors newbie

I have a 2G iPhone ($499 plus 2-year contract) and like to upgrade to 3G, so we went to AT&T store looking for 3G iPhone. Surprisingly they told me that I am not eligible for 3G upgrade, instead we have to pay $399 for iphone 3G (8G) plus 2-year contract. $200 more!

Then we asked AT&T if my wife could get a 3G iPhone since her phone is not a smartphone and only billed $9.99 for her phone service. Again they said NO.

I was expecting that we will pay iphone rate for both iphones, by 2-year contract, AT&T would still make decent profit while resetting my 2-year contract, but they refused, they rather like us to stay where we are which my wife phone was charged $9.99 only for family plan. I really do not get it, what AT&T tried to do? They could make at least $70 monthly more if we are allowed to upgrade. That is $1700 in 2-year period of time.

We also phoned AT&T, got same answer.

The funny thing is that the representative tried to sell us a different phone (LG) over the phone. And he ordered that phone for us without our acknowledgment. That order got shipped when we got a confirmation email from AT&T and we told them that it is AT&T mistake. Dumb!

Later AT&T called us for a survey for our visiting to their local store, we gave them everything lowest score. they deserved.

Are they dumb or just too greedy? Anyone has similar experience with AT&T recently?

I just hope there comes some healthy competition in the smart phone market.
    iPhone tied to only one carrier is problematic.

2. PoitNarf macrumors 65816

PoitNarf

You can't get the subsidized upgrade price if you're not due for an upgrade yet, this is the case with all phones on pretty much all carriers in the US. You may get some discounts if you threaten to cancel service, but no guarantees with that either.

3. efice32 macrumors 6502

Basically just repeating what was said above me...

You can only upgrade at the subsidized pricing when your 2 year contract is complete. Every carrier works this way. Sometimes you'll get a "you can upgrade early" thing but that's rare. You weren't able to buy the 3G at the subsidized price because the 2 year contract you signed on your original iPhone isn't over.

4. spring macrumors regular

But I was able to upgrade to 3G. I bought my 2G on launch day so that was june of 07 and I was able to upgrade to my 3G back in december so my 2 year contract wasn't up. Plus the 2G wasn't subsidized, so I don't see a reason why they won't let you upgrade.

5. Resist macrumors 68030

But can't you cancel your contract and pay their fee, then buy the 3G at the subsidized price?

6. dissdnt macrumors 65816

dissdnt

Is there anywhere on the ATT site that shows how long you've been using there service and if your still in contract.

I see a thing where it says if your eligible for an upgrade, but wondering if you can see how long you've been with them and if your in or out of contract.

7. Resist macrumors 68030

You don't know how long you have been with them?

8. dave006 macrumors 68020

Sure, very easy to check. Just login and click the blue "MY Profile" hyperlink when you are on "Manage Your Account" and then click the "User Information" tab and you will see your contract end date.

Dave

9. jc1350 macrumors 6502a

I'm toying with the idea of upgrading to the 3G (I got my 2G on 25 Dec. 2007).

Instead of AT&T, I went through the steps at Apple's site and, stopping short of committing to it, got the $199 price for the 8GB version.

If you have an Apple Store within reasonable distance, you may want to try it from www.apple.com. I don't think you actually commit to anything until you arrive at the Apple Store (I stopped at the step for picking a store/time).

And yes, I selected the "Replace a phone on my account" option.

10. iFerd macrumors 6502a

I just moved from my original 2G to a 3G at the local AT&T store last week. Six months were left on my original two year contract. There were no questions or arguments. I got the 3G at the subsidized price and I signed a new two year contract, which replaced the original one for the 2G phone. This has been standard for all 2G owners since the 3G came out last July, so something is amiss.

Is the OP not pointing out something? Did he already have a subsidized phone when he got the 2G iPhone? If the two years since he got a subsidized phone haven't elapsed, then he won't get the 3G at the subsidized price until the contract on it has run out. (Actually, I think that they allow an equipment upgrade after 18 months.)

11. LSUtigers03 macrumors 68020

LSUtigers03

When the 3G first came out if you had a 2g iphone you were automatically eligible to get the 3G at the subsidized price. I got my 2G in August 2007 and I got the 3G less than a year later. i don't see why this would have changed but if you own an original iphone you should have no problems getting a 3G.

12. gotzaiPhone macrumors member

I got my v1 even later than you (feb of 08) and I still got a 3G at the lower price. I don't know why the OP is having an issue?

To the OP, did you buy your v1 new from at&t or apple?

13. haddman macrumors regular

Yes, yes, at launch all current iphone owners were eligible to upgrade to the 3G. Unless this his changed he should be eligible. I had purchased my phone Christmas 07, and ugraded to iPhone 3G on launch day.

14. westlakers thread starter macrumors newbie

But why AT&T does not allow my wife to have a 3G phone? her phone is a MOT razr and only billed with $9.99 monthly, if she is allowed to buy 3G, then we would pay $70 more monthly, AT&T would may make a good profit, however they refuse that too.

I bought my 2G in 2/2008, there is one year left in my contract. If they allow me to upgrade and reset the 2-year contract, they could even lock me for much longer time. I do not understand why they do not do that and I was expecting that result and won't mind.

What I felt is that AT&T is really dumb, why they leave the money on the table?

15. GoCubsGo macrumors Nehalem

GoCubsGo

My situation contradicts this issue.
    I bought my 2G phone October 2007. Less than a year later I upgraded to the 3G phone. I think I was only 10 months into my 2-year contract. I went to AT&T's site when I was looking to upgrade to 3G and they said I could so I did. My contract was extended 2 years from the date I purchased my 3G phone.

How is the OP any different? I thought 2G owners could upgrade to the 3G without hassle. His wife may be another story though, that much I do get.

16. CocoaPuffs macrumors 68010

It's quite simple, either the system says you're eligible or you're not. If you're not, the system will tell you when you are.

If you have 2G but not eligible, it must be because 2G was activated post-July 11th.

Your wife is not eligible must be because she had used her eligibility for "any" phone when she signed up for the 9.99 family plan.

Note: refer to the other threads with the same exact topic. Whining to AT&T corporate store apparently works very well.

17. cWeems macrumors 6502a

cWeems

original 2G iphone customers can only upgrade if they purchased it before 5/27/08. because there was a 14 day return policy, that was the earliest day u could have still returned it by the time the new one was announced (6/9/08). so if someone purchased it before 5/27 and were outside the 14 day when the new one was announced they are allowed to upgrade early.

IF by chance you did purchase it before 5/27 and u still arent eligable, u can go to any corporate store and they can submit an over ride form to make u eligable.

and btw, scoring 0's on that phone survey was a d*ck thing to do, goes against the rep and put in his perm record, wasnt his fault its that way.

18. txjeep macrumors member

"Note: refer to the other threads with the same exact topic. Whining to AT&T corporate store apparently works very well."

I tried this and it didn't work for me. I'm trying to upgrade from a Nokia N75, not an iphone. I called three stores and they all told me no. I politely pressed them too, but they said they would if they could, but they were not allowed, especially on an iphone. I only have two months to wait, but I was hoping to get around that. :(

19. CocoaPuffs macrumors 68010

1. Make sure it's corporate store, not an authorized reseller.
    2. Everything always work best in person.

20. dave006 macrumors 68020

She can purchase the iPhone 3G but not at the discounted rate since her Razr was subsidized by AT&T. If she upgraded her add-a-line it would only add the $30 data plan to your existing FamilyTalk plan. I am not sure where you get the $70 number from?

Your upgrade status does not make sense as based on your stated purchase date you should be able to upgrade to the iPhone 3G at the subsidized rate since your original iPhone was not subsidized. Did you get another phone at a discount from AT&T on your line of service before or after you purchased your original iPhone? Did they provide a specific reason as to why you could not upgrade?

Dave

21. dissdnt macrumors 65816

dissdnt

Ahh i see it, says 10/09 guess i am in a two year. It's weird cause i am eligible for an upgrade, i guess because i bought an original iphone unsubsidized.

22. applelvr22 macrumors newbie

I had this exact same problem. I had the IRU discount on my plan and this was before the Apple Store could process this is the upgrade, therefore, I went to an AT&T corporate store. I was told I was not eligible even though I had had the original iPhone since December 2007. This made no sense to me or the employees at AT&T. I called 611 and they told me that I should be eligible and to talk to a manager at the store. She even read me their policy word for word for previous generation iPhone users. The manager in the store proceeded to tell me that it must be because my account holder had paid a bill late. This was not the case either since 2 others on our account had JUST upgraded a few days before then. Luckily I was only 5 days away from the date they told me I was eligible so I just ended up waiting a few days... but it was complete BS. I cannot fathom why they can't get their system straight. They should have a valid reason why you have that extended date.

23. westlakers thread starter macrumors newbie

the AT&T sales manager was stone-faced, never smiled, and failed to explain why we can not get upgrade. for me it is 0 score for his customer service, period.

24. westlakers thread starter macrumors newbie

we were willing to take next level of family plan (more minutes), plus $30 for data plan and $5 for text message, that easily could be $70 more monthly.

my wife joined me for family plan after her contract with VZ expired, we had it in mind of upgrading to 3G for quite some time.

the AT&T manager was unable to explain why we could not, no matter what we proposed, he just said no and even told that if we went to Apple store, we would hear same story. btw, he was stone-faced, no smiling in his face.

25. TJisYeah macrumors member

No it doesnt matter if its post july 11th.. cause anyone that gets a 2g iphone is on a MONTH to MONTH contract . there is no 2 year agreement. i am 100 percent positive. my grandfather bought my iphone 2g before launch and activated it after launch and they said it would be month to month .. and he could up grade anytime or cancel his contract anytime