AT&T download speeds vs Verizon

Discussion in 'iPhone Tips, Help and Troubleshooting' started by SteinMaster, Oct 21, 2011.

1. SteinMaster macrumors 6502

SteinMaster

My wife just bought a Verizon 4S and I have an AT&T iPhone 4. I heard AT&T overall had faster download speeds than Verizon. So, I tested it tonight by downloading the same song on her iPhone and on mine. I used the 3G network which both had full bars. The Verizon iPhone (4S) took almost 4 minutes to download. AT&T iPhone took 40 seconds. I was thinking about switching to Verizon when iPhone 5 comes out but am not so sure. Does anyone know why there is this big disparity? Any one else tested this and get similar results? I was actually shocked how slow the Verizon data download was.

2. Xystence macrumors regular

I was at my sisters house last night and we were doing a test of my AT&T 4s vs my brother in laws Verizon 4s using the speed test app. We both had 5 bars, no cases or anything, put same place on table and did tests with servers in many different cities.

Every single time his phone download speed would range between .25 MB/s and 1.5MB/s, and mine would be anywhere from 6MB/s to 11.5MB/s. I will say that there was many times his Verizon speeds would actually be faster on the upload then the download speed. Which I though was strange. My average upload was right around 5MB/s, and his was always under one half MB.

I know this is not any sort of technical test but in the real world setting where for once we both had the same signal my AT&T phone slaughtered his. I have always preferred AT&T in general but I have nothing against Verizon in anyway. Like I told my brother in law, if the phone does what you need it to do on a daily basis, the speeds don't matter. Unless the speeds become a bother in a real world setting who cares? He said he can't say he's ever noticed an issue, although its all he's had in the data world so he has nothing to compare it to.

I get very good AT&T coverage in my area in Florida, I dropped calls on my iPhone 4 here and there, have never dropped one on my 4s.

Good luck to you!

3. SteinMaster thread starter macrumors 6502

SteinMaster

Thanks for the info. I agree with your point about whether the phone does what I need. I have some time to decide since my AT&T 2 year contract is over June next year. Verizon does have a bigger 3G network than ATT so this may be another reason for me to switch to Verizon. I travel to rural areas around where I live and my iPhone is on Edge while my work phone (Verizon) has full 3G.

4. Xystence macrumors regular

I think the war of who is better is pointless. I think you look at the up and down of both sides and just decide what works best for you.

In your case it sounds like Verizon may be your ticket if you do not mind the speed difference. But if your in an area where you get edge with AT&T, the 3G Verizon smokes that all day long, so in reality with your stance, at least at work I would pick Verizon all day long.

5. Applejuiced macrumors Westmere

Applejuiced

Even though you will see full 3G signal with VZ your speed might be about the same as AT&T's Edge data.
    Just so you know, and multitasking while talking and using data is a must for me.

6. MayBee macrumors 6502

lots of articles out there on speed testing between att, verizon, and sprint....with the 4S..and they show ATT blowing away verizon and sprint for 3G network on the iphone 4S.

7. mpossoff macrumors 68020

AT&T has been enhancing and expanding their 3G network.