Carrier AT&T: Dropped call audio issue with 6s, iOS 9.2+

Discussion in 'iPhone' started by cnick6, Feb 12, 2016.

1. cnick6 macrumors regular

cnick6

Has anyone else been seeing dropped call audio with their 6s and iOS 9.2 or higher?

I'm pretty sure this started with 9.2 but here's what happens:

After I leave work each day, I turn on my Voyager Legend BT headset and make a call.
    During that call, (in almost the same location), there's suddenly dead-audio but the phone still shows the call in-progress. I can't hear my party and they can't hear me... both of us still show active calls however.
    I have to hang up and call again to re-establish the connection.

At times, we've had this dead-audio for several minutes before realizing the call audio was gone.

A few things I haven't confirmed:

Is this a carrier issue? (So far, I haven't seen/heard any issues from T-Mobile friends.)
    Could it be a cell-tower/switching issue? (I've seen this issue in the same area multiple times.)
    Could it be a BT headset issue? (Since I use my headset while driving several miles it's hard to test without it.)

BTW, while in the call with dead-audio, I've tried switching to phone or speaker audio with no luck -- so the baseband connectino has definitely dropped -- but iOS 9.2.1 seems to think the call is still active.

So far, this has never happened when I'm not moving between cell towers.

Anyone else see this issue?

2. theshoehorn macrumors 6502

Sounds to me like an AT&T issue. I have the 6 Plus (VoLTE), and I know on my drive to/from work there are certain locations I can always count on having some what dead air for a couple seconds. Possibly a bad handoff between towers. Sometimes i think too far of a distance between them.

3. karpeltunnel10 macrumors newbie

Visit your local corporate store and request them to put a new SIM card in your phone. You can also download an app called AT&T Mark the Spot and report it. After so many reports techs will visit the towers near that location to see if anything is wrong with them.

4. cnick6 thread starter macrumors regular

cnick6

Thanks for the suggestions. I enabled Baseband logging today and was able to reproduce the problem going just a few miles from work -- a different route than before -- so it's something consistent. Hopefully the captures will help Apple figure it out.

I agree it sounds like a tower issue -- but I've read some [new] user reports about the Voyager Legend headset having random issues with 9.2+ as well -- so wasn't sure if it could be the culprit.

I suppose the Phone application could be dropping the call audio between the BT Handset but switching to another source should fix that problem.
    --- Post Merged, Feb 13, 2016 ---
    I filed Apple bug 24643317 on this issue. I'll update the thread if/when Apple responds.