AT&T DSL Westell Modem with Airport Extreme?

Discussion in 'Mac Basics and Help' started by AppleTech22, Nov 28, 2010.

1. AppleTech22 macrumors 6502

Jul 10, 2010
    First off I have searched for an answer on this issue, but cannot find out how to do this completely. I have At&t DSL, just got it a few weeks back, but have had to continue using my old internet because I cannot setup my Airport Extreme with it. I am really confused on the setting that need to be in place. Here is the info that I have seen and tried:

Connection type on the Airport should be normal ethernet.

Setup the modem with "Bridge Mode", that is the problem right there.

I need help on what this "Bridge Mode" is and how I can set it up. I went to the modem website, or ip address that is on the back of the device, but I couldn't find any bridge mode in any of the options there. Also, what do you do after that, am I done?

Thanks for any help!,

If you have questions I will reply in no time!
  2. ayala421 macrumors regular

Sep 21, 2010
    I will be a new at&t dsl customer here soon...

I currently have an airport extreme also and have done some extensive research on which modems will work best with at&t since the modem they provide you with is crap.

In all this research I have not ran across anything that speaks about a Westell modem being compatible with an airport extreme.

The few I have found that and that some articles explain connecting with the airport extreme and at&t dsl service are:

Siemens speedstream 4100B
    Actiontec GT701D
    D-Link DSL-2540B
    Motorola 2210 (att modem)
    2wire 2701HG-B (att wireless modem)

Not sure if this helps, but what I'm trying to say is that the airport extreme might not be compatible with the Westell modem you got there.
  3. DewGuy1999 macrumors 68040

Jan 25, 2009
    Maybe something here will help you:, ISP Information » AT&T Southeast Forum FAQ » 3.14 Westell 2100 2200 6100 Info
  4. AppleTech22 thread starter macrumors 6502

Jul 10, 2010
    I can't find a solution to this issue, so I called AT&T which was a complete waste of time. I told them right away that I put the modem in bridge mode and then tried the settings that are given on their website for the Airport. It didn't work, and after getting no information from someone who had no clue about the topic. In the end I asked for him to confirm that AT&T modems have a problem with Apple Airport devices and he said yes. After that the conversation was pretty much over.

Now I have been so troubled and frustrated by this issue that I have given up. I am either going to call Apple, or require AT&T to get someone out here to set it up. Check back here in the next couple of weeks to see if I figure this out!

5. choiceweb0pen0 macrumors newbie

Jul 30, 2011
    I had a Motorola dsl modem hooked up to my airport extreme that had the good sense to fail while under warranty. ATT sent me a Westell 6100 dsl modem as a replacement. I actually managed to get someone at ATT to walk me through setting up the modem, which managed to work, but it wouldn't let me had more than one computer or wireless device connected at a time.

Turned the private LAN option off on the modem and now in AE have it set to connected via Ethernet and under connection sharing share a public IP address.

Not sure why, but the Motorola required slightly different settings on the AE.