AT&T Early Termination Fee Question

Discussion in 'iPhone' started by Mac N Tosh, Jun 3, 2010.

1. Mac N Tosh macrumors regular

I early terminated my contract with AT&T last billing period and was told that I would incur a 125.00 ETR...I was good with that as I hardly ever use the phone and still had 13 months left..My question is why on earth would I have to pay a communication tax on a ETR..?? The bill had come to 139.00 with the tax..Is it just my area or nationwide for a tax on a ETR..??

2. jzuena macrumors 6502a

jzuena

Maybe legally the ETF counts as prepaying a portion of your remaining bills which would have had the tax? Or they are just out to screw you because you are leavng :eek:

3. TechNutt macrumors member

I wish I had an answer for you, but--as a former CSR for a wireless carrier--I can tell you that there is taxes upon taxes on a wireless bill. Additionally, many of the taxes are specific to your location of residence.

The best thing I can tell you is to call a rep but AT$T has crappy customer service, so good luck with that. Actually, their CS is probably the reason you asked on the forum instead of calling in the first place, so I feel your pain. :(

Good luck and don't forget to share afterwards.

4. Mac N Tosh thread starter macrumors regular

Will try them again, tomorrow...!! Thanks tho !

5. Mac N Tosh thread starter macrumors regular

Customers Service says they cannot discount a tax ..My response was, that in their own contract it says taxes will be collected on reoccurring monthly charges. An ETF is a one time penalty for canceling the contract, not a re occurring monthly charge, She agreed, and responded "We cannot discount a tax". I asked her if she could discount the ETF by 17.49 and she said......."NO". !!!

There ya have it...

But she did say.." Anything else I can do for you..?" :mad:

6. maflynn Moderator

maflynn

Staff Member

You're arguing that you shouldn't be paying a tax? Its not like AT&T will keep it.

They pay the taxes to the gov't. Arguing that you shouldn't be paying the tax is a bit pointless. I mean you state that you're not too upset about the amount of the ETF but you're making a federal case about the tax?

7. elephunkman macrumors 65816

8. Mac N Tosh thread starter macrumors regular

I was arguing the tax should not be applied..As this was not a rec-occurring charge, but a penalty for contact cancellation. No communication(s) were used, why would there be a communications tax...The phone has not been disconnected for the past two months..

9. elephunkman macrumors 65816

I think that tax is for general communications because you are paying an ETF to a communications company.

10. maflynn Moderator

maflynn

Staff Member

Well again, AT&T is just the conduit funneling the payments to the government. If you want to raise a complaint, lodge a complaint with the FCC or FTC

11. Irish Rose macrumors 65816

Wirelessly posted (Mozilla/5.0 (iPhone; U; CPU iPhone OS 3_1_3 like Mac OS X; en-us) AppleWebKit/528.18 (KHTML, like Gecko) Version/4.0 Mobile/7E18 Safari/528.16)

I think it's ridiculous that these wireless carriers can get away with adding a tax on to the ETF, but they all do it.

12. Applejuiced macrumors Westmere

Applejuiced

The Tax goes to the government not to the carrier.
    They have no controll over it.

13. maflynn Moderator

maflynn

Staff Member

Its not like they're keeping the money. Its a tax so it goes to the government

14. realeric macrumors 6502a

realeric

You are absolutely right. The government would face class-action lawsuits filed by some association like EFF on behalf of us. :mad:

15. ucfgrad93 macrumors P6

ucfgrad93

It is only $14. Personally, I wouldn't waste too much time over it. Just pay it and move on.

16. Mac N Tosh thread starter macrumors regular

I did....but it just don't sit right...Its like Firestone charging a Federal Excise Tax on your tires..then adding it to the total for sales tax...WHAT !!! I told her, hey you cant tax a tax, ohhhhhh I didnt know that..

17. ucfgrad93 macrumors P6

ucfgrad93

Doesn't the government mandate how businesses collect taxes? While I'm not sure, but if they do then you should be angry at the government not at&t.

18. Applejuiced macrumors Westmere

Applejuiced

There he goes again.
    Firestone or any particular company doesnt charge or post any taxes they feel like charging.
    They're put there by local or federal authorities.
    Its not up to the company, they just pass it on to the government.
    What part of that dont you understand?

19. elephunkman macrumors 65816

Some companies are mandated by the government to impose these taxes, such as communications. AT&T has no control over this, it is the government.

20. Mac N Tosh thread starter macrumors regular

GAWD......You are thick...First off they dont charge it they collect it.. Excise tax no problem...Sales tax...No problem...YOU CANNOT ADD THE EXCISE TAX TO THE SALES TOTAL THAN CHARGE SALES TAX ON THE ADDED EXCISE TAX...You cannot tax, tax

Tires 10000.00
    Mounting fees 35.00
    Fed, Excise Tax 100.00
    Total 1135.00
    Sales Tax 7% 79.45

Total 1214.45

The sales tax should be on the 1035.00...for 72.45..You cannot ad in the excise tax for the total sale...You cannot collect a tax on a collected tax...

21. masterlimp macrumors member

Good explanation. I'm not sure why Applejuiced can't comprehend something so simple lol.

22. Applejuiced macrumors Westmere

Applejuiced

Im sure you're not the only one that they collected the particular government fee from. There's many others that paid it and will in the future.
    Start a class action suit if you like.

23. goobot macrumors 603

goobot

wana know what really sucks? getting taxes on your taxes.

24. elephunkman macrumors 65816

Actually the part that sucks out of all this is the OP having to pay those taxes. I feel you OP since all you want to do is end your contract with no strings attached. I will be ending my current line soon and I will call them to see what I really have to pay.