AT&T Early Upgrade (+$250) or Full Price

Discussion in 'iPhone' started by Domino8282, Sep 10, 2015.

1. Domino8282, Sep 10, 2015
    Last edited: Sep 10, 2015

Domino8282 macrumors 6502a

Domino8282

I have several questions that don't seem to be answered anywhere. I have two lines on my AT&T account. One is AT&T Next, one is not. The one that isn't is only eligible for "early upgrade" (base price plus $250).

- Apple will not sell the iPhone 6S at "early upgrade" price. Only Next or Full Price.

Questions:
    1) In the long run, for my "early upgrade eligible" phone, should I order my 6S through AT&T and do the early upgrade? Or pay full price through Apple?

2) If I pay full price through Apple, will it come unlocked? Is there a benefit to buying the T-Mobile version over the AT&T version (given that I will use it with AT&T's network)?

Thank you... They have made this process so confusing it's ridiculous.

2. Domino8282 thread starter macrumors 6502a

Domino8282

Also if paying full price, which model is best to purchase? In order for it to work with AT&T and maximize resale value and bands?

3. Domino8282 thread starter macrumors 6502a

Domino8282

Could really use some advice on the above please...

4. idanny34 macrumors regular

Apple will sell the iPhone 6s at the early upgrade price. Purchased a 16GB iPhone 6 last year at an Apple Store for $449 plus tax. If you purchase the iPhone 6s outright from Apple it will come unlocked which would maximize the resale value.

5. Domino8282 thread starter macrumors 6502a

Domino8282

Thanks for the reply but I spoke with an Apple rep on the phone who said that this year is different. Apparently Apple is only offering 2 options: AT&T Next or Full Price (to encourage people onto Next). She said that to do the "early upgrade" option this year, you have to buy through AT&T.

6. Givmeabrek, Sep 10, 2015

Givmeabrek macrumors 68030

Givmeabrek

Full price would be cheaper. The early upgrade is a $200 discount. Do it next year and you will get another $200 discount. Pay full price and a full discount next year will give you a $450 discount. An early upgrade costs you $50 more.

The AT&T model would be best if you are staying on their network.

7. ricktat macrumors 65816

I thought even the AT&T store stopped early upgrades to try to get everyone on NEXT.

8. kupkakez macrumors 68000

kupkakez

If it were me and you have the money I'd save the hassle and just buy full price. You are going to hear some people say yes you can get the early upgrade some will say no you can't. It's the same with asking ATT, it's rep roulette and sometimes they say anything to get you off the phone.

9. idanny34 macrumors regular

I completely forgot that Apple no longer has the option to purchase with a 2-year contract. So you would have to purchase through AT&T (online or in-store) to get the early upgrade price. I would probably just purchase it outright from Apple knowing that it would be unlocked which could potentially help the resale value later on.

10. Apollonian macrumors 6502a

Apollonian

I have an early upgrade available, and I will most likely take it. Yes I could save $50 if I save it but taking it will spread the cost out. If your like me your only option will apparently be via ATT online when it comes to ordering.

11. Apollonian macrumors 6502a

Apollonian

The resale price is only slightly higher in my experience and wouldn't offset the money lost by not utilizing your upgrade, not to mention that I anticipate used,unlocked phones becoming more commonly available next cycle. I personally would stick with the contract scheme for now but you will have to figure that out for yourself.

12. idanny34 macrumors regular

Yeah, it really depends on what the OP wants to do. I'm using an early upgrade this time around since I don't plan on switching to a different carrier anytime soon.

13. Ludatyk macrumors 65816

Ludatyk

I just paid off my iPhone.. for 459.

I've already got buyers who would take 500 for my iPhone... I'm just waiting to get it unlocked. I seen the option to do an early upgrade, but I chose to pay off the iPhone & get it unlocked. Although some people might feel the convenience of dealing with AT&T is better & be done with it.

But I think the best way would be to pay it off.. get it unlocked to sell it to the highest bidder.

14. toneloco2881, Sep 10, 2015

toneloco2881 macrumors 6502

This is true if you keep your older device. If you sell your device you you purchased at the early upgrade price then choosing that option can be cheaper in the long run. For example - you purchase the iPhone 6s for $450 from AT&T this year. The fact that most phones now are being purchased full price on installment plans has driven a lot of consumers to buy the prior years model for less than the cost of a new one full retail. You should be able to sell that phone for ~$400 pretty easily. Amazon will give you $380 right now for last years iPhone 6 16gb, and you don't have to bother with eBay, craigslist, etc. This will allow you to upgrade for $50-100 each year provided AT&T keeps the early upgrade pricing. If you get top dollar for your phone you may even be able to upgrade for free essentially. For the two phones for 2 years - your net out of pocket would be ~$500-550.

Contrast this with Apple's pricing. Those same 2 iPhone 6s 16GB would cost you ~$780 for 2 years ($32.41x 24 months). The numbers spread even further as you go more years out. Of course, this assumes you aren't intending on purchasing Applecare separately each year on its own (I don't), and AT&T doesn't change their rules. I have unlimited data on my line(s) so no savings for me paying full retail for a phone on the service side. I never pay upgrade fee's on my line(s) as well so that is another expense to factor in.

15. thedru13 macrumors regular

Just got done talking to an ATT rep about this since i also had the "early upgrade" option. This is how it was explained to me.
    With the early upgrade option, you can get a new phone with a new 2 year commitment. The Iphone 6 plus 128GB is at $949.99 with its original price, but with Early Upgrade you will only pay $499.99 plus $250 which will total to $749.99.

So that led me to my next question... Am I eligible for an early upgrade every year? What is the criteria for an early upgrade..
    There answer was...
    I can see here that you can only be eligible for an Early Upgrade once you remain on the existing contract within 12 months.
    So you can use the early Upgrade only if you have the existing contract for exact 12 months, and that is for early Upgrade only and not AT&T Next.

I am not sure if I am going to upgrade or not thought this interesting info so passing it along. I don't usually upgrade to the S models since its not usually enough of a bump and I have a IP6+ now (128g) so again not sure its worth it... I just always want the latest and greatest..