AT&T Early Upgrade "hack"

Discussion in 'iPhone' started by redrox5, Jun 10, 2009.

1. redrox5 macrumors member

So if you'll recall last year, it was discovered that if you had activated an iPhone 2.5G on your account, even if it was just a week before the 3G was released, you'd be eligible for the new customer price of $199/299. So on Monday when the 3G S was announced, I went through the online "Buy an iPhone" dealy on the Apple website and then also checked my AT&T account only to see that it said I'd be eligible 12/11/09 for an upgrade. Knowing that I had signed a 2-Year contract, I didn't have any gripes with this. I decided I'd pay $699 for the no commitment phone.

Fast forward to yesterday evening, I had loaded a copy of 3.0GM on my old 2.5G iPhone (legit from Apple) and instead of doing the upgrade to retain my "hacktivated" status, I did a full restore to ensure that it ran properly and smoothly. Well when it loaded up, it asked me to pick a plan again (the activation process for the original iPhone). With last year's information in mind, I went through the process, picked a new plan and officially activated my iPhone 2.5G with AT&T. Sure enough, when I logged into my AT&T account, it still said I wasn't eligible until 12/11/09, but it said this:

So I figured that meant still the $599/699 price, but then I scrolled down and saw my prices: $399/499!

[​IMG]

So I promptly ordered one at that price and it went through fine. Not that I advocate ripping off AT&T, since we DID sign 2 year contracts, I just thought it was funny that it worked out this way.

Attached Files:

2. bbotte macrumors 65816

bbotte

I get the 399/499 price and did none of that and I can't upgrade for the 199/299 price until Jan/05/2010. You could have bought this at this price the whole time no syncing or restoring necessary.

3. Saladinos macrumors 68000

Saladinos

So you figured this out, and then you told everyone?

4. Karpfish macrumors 6502a

Karpfish

This is the early upgrade price. Anyone with a current AT&T account can get this price.

5. redrox5 thread starter macrumors member

While that may be true, if you read through my post, when I tried this on Monday and Tuesday, it gave me the $599/699 price. I purchased an iPhone 2.5G on launch day and then a 3G on launch day and it had said $599/699 still until I did this.

6. thecoolone1 macrumors regular

Yes, I'm also getting the $599/$699 prices. I've had both iPhones and I'm not eligible for a standard upgrade until 11/21/09 but I still get the 599/699 and MOST if not all are getting it at 399/499. What's the deal? I wouldn't mind paying 399 right now.

7. abgould macrumors member

I'm in the same position. I am eligible after 7/12/09 to upgrade but I am still not given the option of $399/$499 now, but rather the $599/699. Not sure what is going on.

8. thecoolone1 macrumors regular

I'm about to call ATT because I've just about had it how they took the route this year. If anyone has any more info. please post!

9. joshellis625 macrumors 6502

joshellis625

Same thing happened to me. I'm not complaining. I am not available to upgrade until 6/19/10 but when I checked my account I promptly purchased the 16gb 3GS for $399. I'm happy now.

10. chrismac00 macrumors 6502a

I bought my original iPhone 3G last year in July when it first came out. I ended up selling it for the Blackberry Storm for Verizon and then I recently switched back to AT&T in March 2009 and got another iPhone 3G. I was eligible for the iPhone 3GS with the $399/$499 price. I find that really weird. :rolleyes:

11. kas23 macrumors 603

kas23

399/499 is for anyone who owns a 3G and wants to sign-up for another 2 years. 599/699 is for anyone with a 3G who does not want to sign up for an additional 2 years.

12. saDeRmac macrumors regular

I would call or go into a store to get a Rep to confirm those prices because it tells us what the official price is and why. If you think that you shouldn't have to pay the 599/699 I would DEFINITELY talk with a rep. We can research it and find you the best solution. PM me with any specific questions and I will be happy to elaborate.

13. TurboSC macrumors 65816

TurboSC

cool beans. People might be bitching and moaning now, but in a week they'll go out and get a 3GS :p

14. Primejimbo macrumors 68040

For fun I looked also and I got the same deal, and I only had my 3G for 3 months.

15. Pared macrumors 65816

LOL What a wonderful story for something that seems to be pretty common.

16. thecoolone1 macrumors regular

I've called twice and spoke with 2 different supervisors and got two different answers. The first supervisor I spoke with said that I was not eligible for the early upgraded discounted price of $399/$499 because I took advantage of an early upgrade in Nov. which I did NOT (i purchased it as a subsidized price for 199 and not 399) and I explained that to him and he looked at my account and notes and said I was correct and that I SHOULD be able to take advantage of the 399/499 pricing. The second supervisor I spoke with didn't make much sense at all. She said I would have to pay full retail at 599/699 because I just renewed my 2 year contract in Nov. when I purchased my iPhone 3G. I've seen people on Macrumors who have purchased there iPhone 3G in Dec. and still get the 399/499 pricing. At this point I guess I'm just going to let it go because I have no idea on what to think.

Also, directly from AT&T it says the following:

What is an early upgrade?
    An early upgrade is for existing customers who purchased a subsidized device from AT&T and have not completed the term of their wireless agreement. As such they are not yet eligible to purchase another fully subsidized device from AT&T. The early upgrade price gives these customers a chance to purchase a new device at a much lower price than the full retail price of either iPhone 3G S or iPhone 3G. Whether you are eligible to purchase an iPhone at early upgrade discounts depends on a number of factors. If you are eligible for early upgrade discounts, the purchase price for the iPhone 3G S is $399 (16GB) or $499 (32GB). Full retail prices are $599 (16GB) and $699 (32GB) for iPhone 3G S.

I meet the requirements for all of that and still have to pay 599/699, why? I guess we'll never know!