Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

redsoxguy676

macrumors regular
Original poster
Jul 30, 2012
In past years I have been doing the early upgrade through att wireless. For the 5 and the 5s I was able to pay $450 for the phone through an early upgrade will they be doing this for the next iphone in a couple of weeks?

Gathomblipoob

macrumors 603
Mar 18, 2009
In past years I have been doing the early upgrade through att wireless. For the 5 and the 5s I was able to pay $450 for the phone through an early upgrade will they be doing this for the next iphone in a couple of weeks?

As long as you're eligible for the partial upgrade, they should.

saving107

macrumors 603
Oct 14, 2007
San Jose, Ca
I love people's enthusiasm but any iPhone 6 question should be just held until Tuesday.

We can guess and say something today but may become meaningless come Tuesday, so lets just wait.

Gathomblipoob

macrumors 603
Mar 18, 2009
I love people's enthusiasm but any iPhone 6 question should be just held until Tuesday.

We can guess and say something today but may become meaningless come Tuesday, so lets just wait.

I consider this an AT&T question, not necessarily an Apple question. There has been partial upgrade eligibility for every iPhone except the original one, I believe.

andy769

macrumors member
Jun 24, 2010
I believe once you are 12 months into your contract with att they allow that early upgrade for $450. You can check now by going onto apples website and visit the iPhone 5s page and on the right there should be an upgrade eligibility button. There it will show you what date you will be eligible for the $450 pricing. Hope this helps.

Givmeabrek

macrumors 68040
Apr 20, 2009
NY
I believe once you are 12 months into your contract with att they allow that early upgrade for $450. You can check now by going onto apples website and visit the iPhone 5s page and on the right there should be an upgrade eligibility button. There it will show you what date you will be eligible for the $450 pricing. Hope this helps.

You save $50 by paying full price every other year. The early upgrade extends your contract for two years and you essentially are now paying $250 extra every year. If you pay full price that's only $450 extra every other year. Full price is actually less!

Last edited:

averlus

macrumors regular
Sep 21, 2013
Pardon me for the noob question but you'd be surprised how hard it is to find what the no contract pricing is to know if your available pricing is early upgrade price.

So I'm showing a 16GB space grey 5S available to me for 450$. Is that a discounted rate? And let's say that rumors are true and the 5.5 iphone is 100$ more, what would be my cost for a 64GB one if I do get early upgrade pricing?

Uabcar

macrumors 6502
Aug 31, 2009
Pardon me for the noob question but you'd be surprised how hard it is to find what the no contract pricing is to know if your available pricing is early upgrade price.

So I'm showing a 16GB space grey 5S available to me for 450$. Is that a discounted rate? And let's say that rumors are true and the 5.5 iphone is 100$ more, what would be my cost for a 64GB one if I do get early upgrade pricing?

Yes- the $450 is 'discounted' from the $649 no-contract price. Essentially, after 12mths of being in your contract- where they've recouped 50% of their subsidy- you get the early-upgrade price of $450 (and by doing so re-up for another 24 mths).

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.