Become a MacRumors Supporter for $25/year with no ads, private forums, and more!

MacRumors

macrumors bot
Original poster
Apr 12, 2001

20110817-20221885-attmsg2-20110817-500x373.jpg

Late yesterday, Engadget reported that AT&T will be eliminating its $10/month texting plan offering 1000 text messages, leaving the carrier's unlimited texting plan for $20/month as the only option for new customers. Within hours, an AT&T spokesperson confirmed that the change is coming on August 21st and that existing customers can keep their current texting plans, even when upgrading devices.
Starting August 21, we're streamlining our text messaging plans for new customers and will offer an unlimited plan for individuals for $20 per month and an unlimited plan for families of up to five lines for $30 per month. The vast majority of our messaging customers prefer unlimited plans and with text messaging growth stronger than ever, that number continues to climb among new customers. Existing customers don't have to change any messaging plan they have today, even when changing handsets."
Just this past January, AT&T dropped its texting plan options from three to two by eliminating its $5/200 text and $15/1500 text plans and replacing them with the $10 plan offering 1000 texts. But just eight months later, the company is now doing away with that option as well and pushing new customers into unlimited text messaging plans.

Article Link: AT&T Eliminating $10 Text Messaging Plan for New Customers

Ammo

macrumors regular
Jun 20, 2009
The texting package gets you unlimited mobile to mobile calling to any wireless carrier, so it's not like it's JUST a texting package.

More bang for your buck. People who needed 900 minutes and had 200 text messages can drop to 450 minutes and get unlimited texting for less.

TMacken

macrumors newbie
Jul 1, 2008
Is this AT&T sticking it to Apple users for having iMessage in iOS 5 to use instead of text messages?

JangoFett124

macrumors regular
Jul 16, 2002
The texting package gets you unlimited mobile to mobile calling to any wireless carrier, so it's not like it's JUST a texting package.

More bang for your buck. People who needed 900 minutes probably won't need them anymore.

Where's the source for this? At least on the iPhone, texting cost is independent from the calling cost.

Amazing Iceman

macrumors 601
Nov 8, 2008
Florida, U.S.A.
A typical AT&T move... what was wrong with the previous plan??? Is it just that they want to get more of people's money or have them sign up for Unlimited Plan, which is not really Unlimited. And if you want Tethering, you'll have to pay a lot extra, even when you are just using the same data volume.

APPLE, PLEASE BUY AT&T MOBILE!

Ammo

macrumors regular
Jun 20, 2009
Where's the source for this? At least of the iPhone, texting cost is independent from the calling cost.

It's not independent. It's on ALL cell phones. You do have a base minute plan, but you can drop from a higher minute plan to a lesser minute plan to get unlimited mobile to mobile calling to any cell phone.

Instead of having 900 minutes and 1000 text messages, for less you can have 450 minutes and unlimited texting AND unlimited calling to ANY cell phone. It's a better value.

My source is AT&T's website and brochures.

dagamer34

macrumors 65816
May 1, 2007
Houston, TX

More bang for your buck. People who needed 900 minutes and had 200 text messages can drop to 450 minutes and get unlimited texting for less.

And what if I already had 450 minutes because I barely use them? I'd rather have a ton of data and pre-paid minutes but AT&T makes data godly expensive if you want to use an iPhone that way.

JangoFett124

macrumors regular
Jul 16, 2002
so, good thing iOS5 is bringing iMessage then

That doesn't work with non-iPhones. Now you can't get a cheap plan combined with that. You either have to pay per-message or get the $20 unlimited. Can they even pretend this isn't an anti-consumer money grab?

Zaren

macrumors regular
Jul 21, 2000
I've said it before...

I'd love to have an iPhone, but I can't afford the plans. So instead I've got a Virgin Mobile smartphone, with unlimited data, unlimited text, and 300 voice minutes for $25 a month. (They increased that plan to $35 recently, but it's still a steal.) If AT&T / Verizon ever gets their heads out of their butts, I might move over, but there's no way I'd do it for 3-4x the price now.

rdowns

macrumors Penryn
Jul 11, 2003
Hey FTC, it's **** like this why you should not let them swallow up T-Mobile.

AiralynRose

macrumors 6502a
Jun 3, 2008
Pittsburgh, PA
A typical AT&T move... what was wrong with the previous plan??? Is it just that they want to get more of people's money or have them sign up for Unlimited Plan, which is not really Unlimited. And if you want Tethering, you'll have to pay a lot extra, even when you are just using the same data volume.

APPLE, PLEASE BUY AT&T MOBILE!

How do you suppose the unlimited texting plan isn't really unlimited?

larrymarshall2

macrumors member
Jul 15, 2008
Ugh. Yeah, like the others, I think this is a response to iMessage. Personally, I only "txt" people that already have iphones. I was honestly thinking of getting RID of my texting plan when iOS 5 comes out! I already have kik and fb messenger...

Le Big Mac

macrumors 68030
Jan 7, 2003
Washington, DC
I don't understand the rationale that "The vast majority of our messaging customers prefer unlimited plans".

That means some people prefer something else, but AT&T isn't willing to offer that option. The "vast majority" of people going to Morton's prefer steak but they still have a chicken and fish option on the menu.

goobot

macrumors 603
Jun 26, 2009
long island NY
Wirelessly posted (Mozilla/5.0 (iPhone; U; CPU iPhone OS 4_3_3 like Mac OS X; en-us) AppleWebKit/533.17.9 (KHTML, like Gecko) Version/5.0.2 Mobile/8J2 Safari/6533.18.5)

What the hell is this, what about the users that choose not to text everyother second of their lives but still want to text to a certain extent?

dgree03

macrumors 65816
Jan 8, 2009
Why isnt text messaging a part of data plans? How come we always see increase in price or feature cuts but NEVER decreases in price? Why do cell phone companies still charge you for minutes? Why dont cell phone companies(with exception to T mobile) give you a discount on your phone plan if you bring in your own device?

Why Why Why Why Why

MarrkDaviid

macrumors member
May 22, 2011
Brisbane, Australia
Depends on minutes, but data is $25/2GB and voice plans start at $40 and go up for more minutes.

Wow, I remember the days when Australian's used to envy America's mobile and broadband plans, it seems that a lot has changed. So the minimum you can pay for voice, data and unlimited texts is $85 per month? Does the iPhone cost anything on top of this, or is it included free in the contract?

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.