AT&T Ended Grandfathered Unlimited Subscription?

Discussion in 'iPad' started by Ryvius, Dec 14, 2010.

1. Ryvius macrumors member

I signed up for the unlimited plan before they discontinued it this summer. Always kept auto-renewal on. Always paid without a problem.

Last night my iPad said that my data was out. Confused, I pulled up my account and AT&T said that I didn't have a subscription -- which of course is impossible.

I'm trying to figure out what's happening.

Is this happening to anyone else?

2. danny_w macrumors 601

Yes I have seen several others with the same issue and they all just said to call at&t and they will fix it for you.

3. 0r30 macrumors 6502

0r30

several people have been having this issue, from my understanding there was a update on att&t system causing this to occur, give them a call and explain to them your situation im sure you will get your unlimited plan back

4. Tom G., Dec 14, 2010
    Last edited: Dec 14, 2010

Tom G. macrumors 68000

Tom G.

It happened to me because my credit card was changed and I did not put the new info into the AT&T system. They corrected it and I still have my unlimited account. As a matter of fact, I just got my e-mail notice yesterday that this months charges had gone through OK.

5. Amazing Iceman macrumors 68040

Amazing Iceman

I asked a friend who works for AT&T and he told me that when the new iPad comes out, I'll be able to transfer my Unlimited Data Plan to it.
    Also, they are forced by law to maintain the Unlimited Plan for existing customers until the customer decides to discontinue it.

6. Cartaphilus macrumors 6502a

That isn't how I read the T's&C's. Since it is a pre-paid arrangement with no contractual obligation to continue on either side, ATT has the right to change how they charge at any time, effective when the current month expires.

I doubt very much that there is any law or FTC ruling that applies.

I'm sure ATT has other reasons to continue the program, but I don't think they are legally constrained.

7. el-John-o macrumors 65816

I agree, AT&T is a private company. They are well within their rights to provide a product at whatever price they choose. They could sell data at $100 per kilobyte if they wanted, and it would not be illegal. Certain necessities are regulated (such as food, fuel, utilities) to prevent gouging of essentials but cellular data is certainly not part of that jurisdiction.

What WOULD be illegal is if ATT, Verizon et al, got together and all decided to raise their prices at the same time. That's price fixing, since THAT is illegal, prices will stay low as long as the industry competes for pricing.

I think they keep it simply to keep subscribers. It's an a la carte data plan, which is part of why I really like it. I purchase it when I travel, if there is a month I'm not traveling much and can live without 3G... yeah no problem. But, if I was grandfathered into unlimited, yeah I would be auto-subscribing. It's just a way for AT&T to keep customers and find a balance, without over exerting their networks.

AT&T just wants to keep their networks from getting clogged at this point. It was only a few years ago that color cellphones were cool, now high-res cellphones that can stream HD video are in existence, sometimes on the exact same hardware that served the color (and B&W) cellphones. I really hope that they get their act together on the hardware side and re-introduce unlimited. It will happen, eventually. One of the big carriers is going to do it, and the rest will have to follow suit to stay competitive.

-John