Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

ravenvii

macrumors 604
Original poster
Mar 17, 2004
Melenkurion Skyweir
I read that there's a more expensive enterprise email plan for the iPhone with AT&T ($45 data as opposed to $30 data) that's required if you want to use Exchange ActiveSync? Is this for the 3G iPhone only?

Because I have the original iPhone, and can set up Exchange ActiveSync on it no problem, and I don't have any special type of plan (just the $20 data plan).

Zengrok

macrumors newbie
Jul 10, 2008
Some of the Enterprise features are:

• Remote wipe and enforced security and password policies for IT administrators to securely manager iPhones containing confidential company information
• Built-in Cisco IPSec VPN—provides the highest level of IP-based encryption for transmission of sensitive company information
• WPA2 Enterprise with 802.1X authentication for safe access to company resources
• Configuration profiles for the remote configuration and installation of your company's passcode policies, VPN, email, and wireless network settings

http://www.wireless.att.com/businesscenter/iPhone3G/index.jsp

jt2ga65

macrumors regular
Jul 1, 2007
As there is no difference in the software that's loaded on the iPhone, there is really no capability difference between the two data plans. AT&T is just trying to trick people into thinking they need the higher data plan. Active Sync works fine with the non-enterprise rate plan.

-jt2

AustinSTI

macrumors 6502
Jul 2, 2007
Search is your friend...

that being said...no its not. My 2g Iphone uses activesynch and I don't pay the enterprise data rates...

mrtune

macrumors 6502a
Jun 23, 2007
The $45 enterprise plan is only for those on corporate accounts who's employer most likely pays the bill. For the rest of us, there is the $30 personal plan.

They both offer identical services, don't be confused by AT&T's description.

I am on the personal plan and I am linked up to my works' exchange server without any issues.

The only reason they charge more is because they feel that the corporate user will be more likely to use more data month to month than the average user. They charge more because of that.

jeff33702

macrumors regular
Jun 2, 2010
...and 3-years later.... (this might be something that MR would like to look into, quite a SCAM by at&t).

I've been trying to get connected to our old Exchange 2003 server without success. The account adds into the phone fine but can't retrieve mail.

Somewhere in my search, I saw someone mention that the enterprise data plan was required for Exchange to work via activesync.

I called 611 and talked to tech support about it. I actually brought up the possibility that I needed the enterprise plan, to which, after a brief pause, he said, "Yep, that's the problem. The plan you need is a $45 plan and it will allow you to connect to your exchange server." There was no reading into it - that's what he said. I explained that there was no way that I was going to pay $15 more to get back a feature that AT&T must be crippling. Call ended.

SO they are either poorly trained, or trained to run this scam on people to raise their rates.

Colonel Badger

macrumors 6502
Jun 30, 2008
...and 3-years later.... (this might be something that MR would like to look into, quite a SCAM by at&t).

I've been trying to get connected to our old Exchange 2003 server without success. The account adds into the phone fine but can't retrieve mail.

Somewhere in my search, I saw someone mention that the enterprise data plan was required for Exchange to work via activesync.

I called 611 and talked to tech support about it. I actually brought up the possibility that I needed the enterprise plan, to which, after a brief pause, he said, "Yep, that's the problem. The plan you need is a $45 plan and it will allow you to connect to your exchange server." There was no reading into it - that's what he said. I explained that there was no way that I was going to pay $15 more to get back a feature that AT&T must be crippling. Call ended.

SO they are either poorly trained, or trained to run this scam on people to raise their rates.

My 3GS has been connected via ActiveSync to an Exchange 2003 account for years, WITHOUT an Enterprise Account. I suspect your settings are wrong for the account.

mrtune

macrumors 6502a
Jun 23, 2007

My work uses Exchange 2003 as well. After 3 years, it still works just fine on the normal $30 unlimited plan.

Your problem may be the SSL setting. By default it is turned on. It cannot be turned off when configuring exchange for the first time. Go back into your mail settings, then into the account setup for exchange, scroll to the bottom of all the settings and turn off SSL.

dave006

macrumors 68040
Jul 3, 2008
Just West of East
+1

The Enterprise data plan only provdes you help support. There is no technical difference in the service, vpn provisioning or the support for profiles.

I have used the original iPhone data plan, and the $30 unlimited data plan with my Exchance server and yes this includes the remote wipe capability.

I have to vote it up to a simple configuration error for the OP. Keep trying and you will get it to work.

Dave

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.