Become a MacRumors Supporter for $25/year with no ads, private forums, and more!

MacRumors

macrumors bot
Original poster
Apr 12, 2001

AT&T announced today that they will be deploying third generation (3G) wireless broadband service to more than 80 additional cities as part of its 2008 wireless network expansion plans.

This will bring 3G services to nearly 250 U.S. markets by the end of 2008, including the top 100 U.S. cities.

This news is relevant, in that Apple users AT&T as their exclusive iPhone carrier in the U.S. and has a multi-year commitment with them. One of the main criticisms of the iPhone when it was launched was a lack of 3G networking, which is typically much faster than the EGDE network that is presently offered with the iPhone.

AT&T's CEO confirmed that the 3G iPhone would become available in 2008, confirming comments by Steve Jobs at the original iPhone launch that Apple planned on making "3g phones and all sorts of other amazing things in the future".

Article Link

aross99

macrumors 68000
Dec 17, 2006
East Lansing, MI
Is there some place we can find out what areas are going to get 3G?

On iPhone launch day, my AT&T store told me that we wouldn't get it until 2009 at the earliest...

macrumors 65816
Feb 5, 2007
OK, this is all great and dandy. I have an iPhone with Edge just like everyone does. How does the news about 3G help me though? How do I get an iPhone with 3G?

You buy one with the understanding that it, too, will someday soon be outdated.

Or you go back in time and tell yourself not to be so goddamned gadget crazy and wait until the 3G iPhone comes out.

... Whichever is more plausible.

supremedesigner

macrumors 6502a
Dec 9, 2005
Gainesville, Fl
It doesn't.

You wait until the iPhone with 3G is released and you buy one. :)

Actually, there is a possibly that your V1 phone will still run on 3G network. Why? Before I send my iPhone to Apple for repair - I took out simcard and I noticed it said "3G" so I assumed it is already pre-3G on every iPhone. We'll see what happen.

nemaslov

macrumors 6502a
Jul 22, 2002
San Francisco
OMG Now let's hear from all the whiners who just bought a new upgraded iPhone yesterday. There will always be something better tomorrow. Enjoy the use out of your purchase and ****!!! :mad:

macrumors 65816
Feb 5, 2007
Is there some place we can find out what areas are going to get 3G?

On iPhone launch day, my AT&T store told me that we wouldn't get it until 2009 at the earliest...

They're pulling dates out of their ass.

Even Apple's own retail outlets do not know any details about product launches until Apple corporate announces an exact date or until the day of deployment (as with the 16GB iPhone).

nemaslov

macrumors 6502a
Jul 22, 2002
San Francisco
OK, this is all great and dandy. I have an iPhone with Edge just like everyone does. How does the news about 3G help me though? How do I get an iPhone with 3G?

You wait until Apple release one, later this year, and then you buy it! Kind of a stupid question.

Retired
May 16, 2006
Actually, there is a possibly that your V1 phone will still run on 3G network. Why? Before I send my iPhone to Apple for repair - I took out simcard and I noticed it said "3G" so I assumed it is already pre-3G on every iPhone. We'll see what happen.

The current iPhone has no 3G hardware inside, no matter what the SIM shows. This was proven around one day after the iPhone was released to the public.

DroppedCalls

macrumors newbie
Feb 6, 2008
Thats great to hear...i guess....so does that mean there will be a roll out of more towers!?...I hope so...b/c I get at least 5-6 dropped calls everyday! EVEN OUTDOORS!

porky

macrumors regular
Oct 12, 2003
BELGIUM
Battery is now also finished after 1 day. I have to charge it every night. Ohwell maybe because i'm an heavy iphone user :)

Blubbert

macrumors 6502
Nov 1, 2006

To use 3G, you need apropriate hardware. Just because your sim card says 3G on it doesn't mean that the phone is capable of supporting 3G.

supremedesigner

macrumors 6502a
Dec 9, 2005
Gainesville, Fl
To use 3G, you need apropriate hardware. Just because your sim card says 3G on it doesn't mean that the phone is capable of supporting 3G.

Then why did Apple put "3G" thing on simcard? To confuse us more? I think they need to be careful what to put on simcard - otherwise I believe there will be class suits/lawsuits for this.

AlphaAnt

macrumors regular
Sep 9, 2006
MD, USA
Then why did Apple put "3G" thing on simcard? To confuse us more? I think they need to be careful what to put on simcard - otherwise I believe there will be class suits/lawsuits for this.

Apple didn't make the SIM cards, AT&T did, and they have a lot of other products that offer 3G, such as the LG 405.

In all fairness, though, RIM hasn't released an AT&T 3G Blackberry yet; I suspect when either RIM or Apple moves to 3G, the other won't be too far behind.

eastcoastsurfer

macrumors 6502a
Feb 15, 2007
Jobs is probably pissed the ATT CEO mentioned the 3g. I'm sure he'd pull their contract now if he could. My current cell contract comes up in 2 months. I was considering an iphone, but now I'm going to wait for the 3g phone.

amac4me

macrumors 65816
Apr 26, 2005
Things are lining up nicely that favor a 3G iPhone launch by June. Will Apple release a 32GB 3G iPhone at that time?

MacNut

macrumors Core
Jan 4, 2002
CT
Jobs is probably pissed the ATT CEO mentioned the 3g. I'm sure he'd pull their contract now if he could. My current cell contract comes up in 2 months. I was considering an iphone, but now I'm going to wait for the 3g phone.
Why is AT&T so behind the curve in the first place, they are just now starting a 3G network while others are already working on 4G.

chicagostars

macrumors regular
Sep 5, 2007
Chicago, IL
true

Even Apple's own retail outlets do not know any details about product launches until Apple corporate announces an exact date or until the day of deployment (as with the 16GB iPhone).

A little snarky, and very dead on. Product launch info from the retail stores is pure speculation. The employees get much of their info from rumor sites, just like the general public.

MacFly123

macrumors 68020
Dec 25, 2006

This WWDC and will ship one to two months after the announcement :)

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.