AT&T factory unlock, can a friend do this for me?

Discussion in 'iPhone Tips, Help and Troubleshooting' started by Grumpy232, Aug 5, 2012.

1. Grumpy232 macrumors member

Just bought a AT&T iphone 4 and 4s from CL. If I know a someone with a AT&T account, can they have it factory unlocked for me?

2. Applejuiced macrumors Westmere

Applejuiced

They can try.
    If the phone is still under contract under someone elses account they might not do it but cant hurt to try.

3. AxoNeuron macrumors 65816

AxoNeuron

AT&T will unlock the phone for the account holder using the IMEI number they have on record...which is not gonna match yours.

4. Satnam1989 macrumors 65816

I just bought a iPhone 4 from a Person locally that was AT&T locked.

I put my SIM card in it for a couple of days, then called up AT&T (I am a PrePaid AT&T Customer for the past 1.5 years...just a Backup SIM that I have been keeping active for my trips to USA)...I got through to the regular CS for postpaid accounts because I didnt put in my phone number when the IVR asked me to and went straight on the topic that I want to get my iPhone 4 Unlocked. CS rep asked me for my IMEI and the name of the person that I bought the iPhone 4 from as well as my Pre-Paid number just to check because on their system they can see the IMEI number of the phone currently using the SIM card, Since I emailed the person before purchasing, I had their real name(First name only needed) thanks to their email address so it worked out just fine. My iPhone 4 Unlocked within 3hours.

What you have to make sure is the iPhone 4 and 4S you purchased weren't sold while the iPhone 4 & 4S were/are tied to a contract. If they are still on Contract (the original owner) and didnt do the early cancellation or didnt pay the early cancellation fee then you will be out of luck as AT&T will refuse. But not to worry if that doesn't work out then go to eBay, I was considering eBay had AT&T turned me down.

on eBay they are charging ~$37 per iPhone to Factory Unlock it and I would trust the sellers with HIGH FEEDBACK SCORE especially with 50+ positive feedback for Successful iPhone unlocks, there are quiet a few of them right now on eBay that are doing it, I don't see any reason it would not be legal because if you recall from 2010 when CutYourSim started the Factory unlocking for $200 almost through someone working higher up illegally whitelisting the IMEI numbers, those iPhone's never got re-locked.

CS = Customer Service Rep