AT&T Family Plan (iPhone 5)

Discussion in 'iPhone' started by Finz151, Aug 16, 2011.

1. Finz151 macrumors member

Finz151

My family is going to sign up for a family plan through AT&T near the end of August. The plan should consist of just three people (parent, sibling, and I), but my sibling and I want to wait for the iPhone 5 (rumored to release on Oct. 7). What can we do to make this happen? Possibly buy the iPhone 4, then return it on the pre-order date? Is it possible for just one person to start the family plan, and then have us added onto the plan once the release or preorder of the ip5 occurs? Give me some feasible scenarios. Thanks!

2. saberahul macrumors 68040

I doubt you can just return it. I believe the return period is 14 days or 30 so if you go past then you cannot return it. AFAIK, you should be able to get a dumb phone and add the data plan when you buy the iPhone 5. You won't get the discounted pricing though. Let someone else confirm this as I'm on VZW and things could be different.

3. CmdrThor macrumors member

Yes. Just have the one person start an individual plan. Then when the iPhone 5 is released convert to a family plan and add the 2 additional lines.

4. Applejuiced macrumors Westmere

Applejuiced

Yes, that would be the easiest/best way IMO.
    I wouldnt get into returns, and then try to get your subsidy back etc....

5. Finz151 thread starter macrumors member

Finz151

I wasn't expecting the return policy to favor my situation. Now, they will be signing up with AT&T at the end of August, period. Since returning/exchanging seems out of the question, could I just wait to sign up (as an individual into the family plan)? BUT, from what I've read doesn't a family plan require a sign up of at least two persons anyway?

6. Gjwilly macrumors 68030

The normal return period at AT&T is 30 days but there is a 10% restocking fee for opened iPhones.
    Last year AT&T waived the restocking fee and extended the 30 days to go back to 30 days prior to the iPhone 4's announcement.
    No one knows what they might do this year.

7. Finz151 thread starter macrumors member

Finz151

I see, so how exactly would that work? Would that one person just sign up for an individual plan and pay for one month's service, then convert to a family plan? Does the pricing structure change? Thanks a ton guys, I appreciate the insight

8. Krandor macrumors 6502

Buy a cheap 3GS on CL or ebay and use that until the 5 comes out.

9. Jeffrosproto macrumors 6502

Yes, an individual plan is cheaper than a family plan (although, you do get less minutes). I have converted an individual to a family plan in the past, and you just do it directly on their website. I wouldn't go through the hassle of adding another line while risking a lost subsidy, just wait until the 5 comes out to add your 2 lines.

10. HazyCloud macrumors 68030

HazyCloud

Yes they will change. AT&T offers different packages depending on what you need.

Individual plans

Family plans

If I were you, I'd do what the person above suggested. Get one line and add the iPhones when the 5 is out. This will also insure you get the 5 at the discounted price.

11. Gjwilly macrumors 68030

The individual signs up for a 1 or 2 year contract and pays each month.
    Then once the 5 is released he adds the 2 extra lines and converts to a family plan.
    Any price differences on the individual vs the family plan will be pro-rated.
    Or find out the billing date for the individual plan and go in on that date to add the 2 extra lines.

12. HeezyBear macrumors regular

Personally, I'd try and find two original iPhones to activate the two lines for now and thus be grandfathered into unlimited data when the iPhone 5 comes out. So long as they don't rid everyone of unlimited data upon its release.

13. HazyCloud macrumors 68030

HazyCloud

Unlimited data on AT&T is bye bye. New users can't get it anymore.

14. HeezyBear macrumors regular

Oh okay, dang. I didn't know. A friend of mine just did this a month ago so I thought it was still doable.

15. HazyCloud macrumors 68030

HazyCloud

16. Finz151 thread starter macrumors member

Finz151

Your responses are very much appreciated, thanks for the help!

17. ~Ks383~ macrumors 6502

Just FYI, there was a loophole for a while where if you used an original (EDGE model) iPhone then you could set up an unlimited data plan on it. If you then switched to any other iPhone you would get grandfathered in to an unlimited plan. I'm not sure of the specifics and I don't know if it works now though. That is what HeezyBear was talking about.

18. dave006 macrumors 68020

There is no loophole if you actually activate an original iPhone using iTunes, you will get the $20 iPhone Unlimited Data plan!!!!

Note: This is the original iPhone ( Silver metal back and only this device )

Now back to the OP, yes a FamilyTalk plan requires a minimum of 2 lines when the plan is started. So as suggested earlier, why not just have your parent open a single individual line at the end of the month and then you and your sibling can wait for the iPhone.

Another option might be to just by a cheap phone that is compatible with AT&T for your add-a-lines and then you will not lose your one (1) free equipment per line of service.

You can even open 3 individual lines and then merge them into a single FamilyTalk plan. For example, you will most likely have to do a version of this when you purchase the new iPhones. Just purchase each iPhone with the cheapest individual rate plan and then go to AT&T ( Corporate Retail Location ) or Call Customer Care and have the lines merged.

Dave

19. Finz151, Aug 17, 2011
    Last edited: Aug 17, 2011

Finz151 thread starter macrumors member

Finz151

Another question guys! Since I'll be out of state, for college, when the iP5 is released how should I go about signing up with AT&T? And, of course, if I want it the day it's released? If my parent signs the month-to-month at the end of this month, come October (lets say) 1st would my parent be solely obligated in converting the individual to a family plan? Or would I be able to sign up for an individual plan/Family plan at the Apple store (New 2/yr contract with subsidized iP5 price), and then let the Apple rep know to convert that plan into a family (by giving him/her the necessary information). Is that possible to do? What would I need to do to make this happen, and get the iP5 on release day!

20. fireshot91 macrumors 601

fireshot91

I think your mother would have to tell the agent to authorize you to make changes. Then, you can go to an AT&T store/Apple Store near your University, and change the plan to a family plan then.

21. Finz151 thread starter macrumors member

Finz151

Ok, sounds simple enough. So if I'm given authorization then would I have to take care of getting the terms/rates selected? Or just tell the Apple rep, my parent is X (currently in an individual acct), and we want to convert to a family plan (with me becoming the second line).

22. fireshot91 macrumors 601

fireshot91

You'd have to choose which Family Plan you want (The options are listed above in this thread by somebody else), other than that you can just tell them "Hey, my mom has an individual plan, I'd like to make that a family plan with me as the second line. I'm authorized on the account to make changes."