AT&T Family Plan question

Discussion in 'iPhone' started by nygfan80, Feb 18, 2011.

1. nygfan80 macrumors regular

I have heard some conflicting stories. I am going to add two lines to my current iPhone individual plan. I also have unlimited data. Is there anyway possible where they could move my unlimited data over into a family plan or am I pretty much screwed into getting 2gb? This is a pretty big deal breaker for me but I can live without it. I would just have to take it easy outside of wifi.

2. unlimitedx macrumors 6502a

you can always use the 2g phone trick to get unlimited back

3. r0k macrumors 68040

r0k

I doubt At&t will cancel your grandfathered unlimited data plan when you want to ADD lines. They would be nuts. In the end, this question is best asked of At&t. Make sure you get to keep the plan you want. After you add the lines, if the plan you want is no longer on your line, ask to speak to somebody in "retentions" because you want to cancel those other 2 lines.

Also don't expect to share data across phones. This is why I like tiered data. I can have 2 lines of limited data for what Verizon charges for one line of mandatory unlimited data.

BTW, don't panic about the data thing. I'm on tiered data. I have free wifi at work and wifi at home. So the only time I'm using data is driving to and from work. I scarcely use 80 meg a month. If I didn't have free wifi at work, I'd have to consider a different plan but for me tiered data is perfect. BTW, I don't listen to Pandora or watch netflix or even install apps on 3G. I only do those things on wifi.

4. Wicked1 macrumors 68040

Wicked1

I moved from an individual plan to a family plan, also added 3 lines and my line was able to keep the unlimited data since I had it already, but the new lines had to be the 2GB lines.

Call AT&T they will allow you to keep your unlimited plan as long as you stick with an iphone, if you move to something like a BB or Android, then say bye bye to unlimted plan.

You should be ok, I just did it.

5. CosmoPilot macrumors 65816

CosmoPilot

As long as you don't change the account number, you will be good. All you're really doing is changing the plan (not the account). Therefore, you'll be grandfathered into your existing unlimited plan.

The newly added lines however will be under the new data plans. They will not be able to get unlimited unless you do the original iPhone trick as mentioned above.

6. nygfan80 thread starter macrumors regular

So is my unlimited plan going to be moved over but if I active a new line with an new iphone, I will have to add a data plan for the new phone itself? It's not a shared data plan?

7. unlimitedx macrumors 6502a

at&t does not have shared data plans. each phone needs its own data package

8. nygfan80 thread starter macrumors regular

Does the plan share messaging or is that separate also?

9. CosmoPilot macrumors 65816

CosmoPilot

Wirelessly posted (Mozilla/5.0 (iPhone; U; CPU iPhone OS 4_2_1 like Mac OS X; en-us) AppleWebKit/533.17.9 (KHTML, like Gecko) Version/5.0.2 Mobile/8C148 Safari/6533.18.5)

You can get a shared unlimited texting plan for all lines on your account.

10. eternlgladiator macrumors 68000

eternlgladiator

Yes there's an unlimited family texting plan that also gives you unlimited mobile to any mobile for $30 per month.

11. iceterminal macrumors 68000

iceterminal

We have 3 iPhones. Originally we had 2 but then brought our son into the fold, when we did this they let us set his phone as unlimited and did not force the cap on us.
    This was early on as the cap was beginning, so it might of changed since then. Or our situation may be different than yours.

And all iPhones must have their own data plan. AT&T wants its money.