AT&T Family plan Upgrade Ques?ion

Discussion in 'iPhone' started by lomafor, Aug 5, 2010.

1. lomafor macrumors member

lomafor

Hi All, here is a question:

A family plan has 4 lines. All lines are eligible for devices upgrade. One phone has been upgrade to iphone 4, which extended the family plan another 2yrs. Now if upgrading the remaining 3 phones to discount phones listed on AT&T as well, will the family plan be extended 6 more years? (2 yrs x 3)

I have heard, many time, that some people get iPhones 4s for all lines of their family plan. Wouldn't that make their contracts to up to 10 years? (if they open 5 lines, all upgrade to iPhone 4s) If it is true, isn't that crazy? (esp. with AT&T).

The reason I bring up this question is a AT&T online chat agent told me that it is true that those 2yrs extended contract for each individual line will sum up to 2-10 years. I found it unbelievable. I want to upgrade all my lines.

2. menehune macrumors newbie

No. When you upgrade one line, you are only extending the contract for the one line. It does not affect all lines on your plan. So if you have 4 lines eligible for upgrade and you get 4 iphone 4's, the contract for all 4 lines will expire in 2 years. In fact, if you look at upgrade eligibility, you will see that the contract end date for the one line that already has the iphone 4 is two years in the future and the other 3 lines end date will be either now or sometime within the next 6 months (I assume, since they are eligible for upgrade now).

3. eawmp1 macrumors 601

eawmp1

Upgrading each phone to an iPhone affects the date that person can next upgrade, but the contract is 2 years total whether 1 or 4 phones are iPhones.

4. lomafor thread starter macrumors member

lomafor

Thanks for replying

so what the AT&T online chat agent has told me that they will add up to 8 years if I upgrade all 4 lines in my family plan to new devices are totally bulls**t? :(

5. menehune macrumors newbie

Yup.

6. lomafor thread starter macrumors member

lomafor

I just checked, all phone lines shown "Contract has ended" except the iphone 4 line which has just upgrade.

anyone knows that can I buy those discount devices from newegg.com, amazon deals or any 3rd party retailer brick store(not just from AT&T websites) ?

any other good websites that I can buy phone with AT&T deals?

Thanks!!

7. Carl G35c macrumors 6502

yes you can upgrade anywhere that is an authorized agent.
    best buy mobile has instant rebates