AT&T Family Talk 550 Plan

Discussion in 'iPhone' started by wateron, Jun 18, 2010.

1. wateron macrumors regular

This plan is offered with the iphone on AT&T's web site but not offered when ordering on the Apple web site, anyone know why? I called AT&T & they said it is available so why can't you get it from the Apple web site. It's $59.99 compared with the $69.99 for the 700 minute on the Apple site. I don't need 700 minutes. Want to get 2 iphone 4's

2. LAS22 macrumors regular

LAS22

short answer is: "...only available in certain areas."

for whatever reason, it's based on you location. no real [easy] way around it.

3. cthoops macrumors member

I was experiencing the same thing, which is why I ended up ordering through AT&T and choosing fewer minutes. I probably won't even use the 500, let alone the 700.

4. maximus96 macrumors 6502a

maximus96

apple doesn't offer than plan for some reason. when i bought the 3GSs, i went thru apple and chose the 700 minute plan, then called AT&T after activation to change it to the 550 minute plan. a 5 minute phone call at most

5. Centient macrumors 6502

It's interesting to note that AT&T stores in my area were only touting the 700 minute plan as well. When I asked about it they said the 550 plan was available online only.

Of course they also said they wouldn't waive the activation fees either. Another online only deal... Suffice it to say I chose to order online.

6. wateron thread starter macrumors regular

It is available in my area (95050) but even putting in the zip code on the Apple site doesn't come up with the plan - will just get it thru AT&T if they ever get more phones available!

7. cheapa55 macrumors 6502a

I did the same when I bought the 3G. Just sign up for the 700 plan, then call at&t to drop it to the 550 plan.

8. wateron thread starter macrumors regular

So your able to change plans whenever you want?

9. huskerchad macrumors regular

I have always been able to. If you get someone who says no, hang up and call back (assuming you can't just do it for yourself on the website).

10. beebo87 macrumors member

i signed up for the 700 minute plan jsut to get the phone. then i'm nplanning on waiting a few days and calling AT&T to switch to 550

11. dave006 Contributor

dave006

Yes, the rate plan is not the same as the two-service commitment ( contract ). So you can change rate plan without breaking your contract.

Another couple of notes:

1. FamilyTalk 550 not available everywhere so it is not listed as a "National Plan" on AT&T or Apple.

2. There is a limit of 3 lines instead of the 5 lines that are available on other FamilyTalk rate plans.

3. When you change rate plans on a "Rollover" rate plan you will only be able to carry over the number of minutes for the new rate plan. So if you have 800 Rollover minutes and you switch from the 700 to the 550 plan, you can only carry over 550 of your 800 minutes.

Dave

12. powerbook911 macrumors 68040

powerbook911

I've had this plan since the original iPhone (it wasn't offered by Apple then either). AT&T has thus far had no issue with me being on this plan. I think they don't mind at all. It is limited to 3 lines as stated though.