Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Jumpie

macrumors 68020
Original poster
Jul 7, 2008
Atlanta
After reading all the hoopla this past weekend about the FCC investigating Apple, AT&T and Google, I couldn't take it any more. It is about time something is being done. Whether or not we'll see any results is yet to be seen and we probably never will hear each party's response. I decided it's time to take matter into my own hands.

As usual when I get a bug, I write emails, this time directly to Ralph de la Vega, CEO of AT&T Mobility and Richard Stephenson, CEO of AT&T. I didn't think I'd get a response but today at 5:11pm I did. I am posting my email and the reply below. I will keep this updated with any information I receive.

For what it's worth, their email addresses are:
ralph.delavega@att.com & richard.stephenson@att.com

Date: Sun, Aug 2, 2009 at 5:12 PM
Subject: AT&T's Mobility's Double Standard
To: ralph.delavega@att.com

Dear Mr. de la Vega,

First, let me preface by explaining that I do not expect a response for you or your office. CEOs of companies do not have the time to answer their own customers, as I, only their shareholders.

There has been a lot of news recently about the Google Voice app being rejected from the iTune's App Store and the letters the FCC has sent to Google, Apple and AT&T. This has been extremely bad publicity for both Apple and AT&T. I have been following this story quite intensely since I just recieved a local Atlanta number from Google Voice. I was thrilled by the prospect of being able to use this app.

One such news outlet, TechCrunch, has posted a story regarding such: http://www.techcrunch.com/2009/08/01/why-the-fcc-wants-to-smash-open-the-iphone/

I find AT&T's response to this story very interesting:

"Update: AT&T responded to this post with the following statements:

AT&T does not manage or approve applications for the App Store. We have received the letter and will, of course, respond to it.

Customers can use any compatible GSM phone on our network, not just the ones we’ve approved and sell. And they also can use apps we don’t approve. We don’t approve iPhone applications."

Mr. de la Vega, why then is Slingbox not available on the iPhone but on other phones supported by AT&T wireless network? Is AT&T saying that it is Apple who solely said this app could only be used via wi-fi or did AT&T? And speaking of which, how is it that every other phone on AT&T's network currently uses MMS and you haven't approved it for the iPhone yet? Yes, I know "late summer," but this is utterly unacceptable in the eyes of your customers. I am hoping that when this is resolved and finally working, AT&T is going to be generous with their iPhone owners and offer some sort of compensation.

Also, iPhone owners' data plans permit unlimited data usage, this should also include tethering option.

Thank you for your time and listening to your customers.

--
-Jim

The reply:

Jim,

Thank you for contacting AT&T Mobility. We apologize for any inconvenience that you may have experienced. We would like the opportunity to address all your wireless concerns and customer service matters. In order for us to assist you, we need you to verify your account information in your e-mail to us. Please, respond to all on this email with the following information:

Account Number:

Wireless Number(s):

Contact Number(s):

Upon receipt of this information, we will contact you within 24 hours to address your concerns.

Thank you,

Mary Joudi

MaryMichelle Joudi

AT&T Mobility

HQ – Office of the President

My reply:

Ms. Joudi,

Thank you for responding to my email; I do appreciate it. For the president's office to take the time to answer, and reply honestly, is something that doesn't happen in today's day and age.

Find the requested information below.

One other point I would like to address is AT&T's service in the Atlanta area. Coverage is mediocre at best with service being dropped, and the 3G service is not up to speed as other cities which I visit. In regards to service, I was contacted my Market Research and currently am participating in the 3G Microcell Trial. I understand that it is a trial and am eligible for compensation in the amount of USD100 at the end of the trial, this does not compare to the price of monthly service. Your competitors provide a higher quality of service for lower cost.

In any event, thank you for having taken the time to act upon my email.

Sincerely,

-Jim

.......and sorry, i'm not good at formatting in these.

Kelly Craig

macrumors member
Jul 30, 2009
Colorado
I normally don't like walking into a wall of text, but good job on doing your research and sticking with it. I hope it gets you the results you want.

NathanA

macrumors 6502a
Feb 9, 2008
I am posting my email and the reply below. I will keep this updated with any information I receive.

From what I can tell, you didn't get a reply that addressed any of the facts; instead you got a form letter sent back to you that makes the assumption that you are personally having problems with your service. That tells me that either A) they didn't read what you wrote closely or B) they don't care (or C -- they are playing dumb and stonewalling you and having a laugh at your expense).

I, too, want to see someone make progress and get to the bottom of this, but it sadly doesn't look like that has happened yet.

-- Nathan

apple3g040193

macrumors 6502
Jun 16, 2009
Yeah, I don't see this going anywhere. Another form letter will be shortly forthcoming, offering you extra minutes or some crap.

you seem to mistaken at&t for a company that cares about there customers its a commen mistake dont worry about it

labman

macrumors 604
Jun 9, 2009
Mich near Detroit
hmm

the Google Voice is intresting makes me wonder if her phone is Jail broken lol. or bs or she signed up for it thinking it would get though. other then that it does sound allot like a Nigerian scam letter I have certainly read a few. if they offer you free minutes or what ever take them probably all you will get.

-aggie-

macrumors P6
Jun 19, 2009
Where bunnies are welcome.
you seem to mistaken at&t for a company that cares about there customers its a commen mistake dont worry about it

You seem to have mistaken me for someone who hates AT&T. I don't. I actually like my service with AT&T and have had them for years. I just don't think they're going to do anything, because someone wrote them a letter.

apple3g040193

macrumors 6502
Jun 16, 2009
You seem to have mistaken me for someone who hates AT&T. I don't. I actually like my service with AT&T and have had them for years. I just don't think they're going to do anything, because someone wrote them a letter.

there service is good where i live but everytime i call them (wich is alot because they alwasys mess up my bill they once canceled my vvm) i get some person who A:has no clue what im talking about or B:is nasty and forces me to talk to a manager because the didnt feel like fixing my problem

joekun

macrumors regular
Mar 10, 2005
I have to say that this is actually very common. I email/call/write CEOs whenever I have an issue I can't get someone to resolve at a lower level. These "offices of the president" are just some higher level customer service that would try to help you if you were having problems, but you won't get any real answers out of them regarding the concerns you raised.

jumplittlechloe

macrumors member
Oct 21, 2008
They must be busy doing something.

Attachments

• photo.jpg
    photo.jpg
    46 KB · Views: 81

Wicked1

macrumors 68040
Apr 13, 2009
New Jersey
Well the way I look at it Verizon is really AT&T's only competitor and when you compare Apple's to Apple's (no phun intended)

Verizon Monthly Plan 450 Minutes = $39.99
AT&T Monthly Plan 450 Minutes = $39.99

Verizon Data Plan Monthly = $30
AT&T Data Plan Monthly = $30

Verizon Unlimited Txt = $20

AT&T Unlimited Txt = $20

So basically with not having the ability of MMS it is all comparable to Verizon, I should know I have Verizon for the rest of the family.

So far in 2 Months I have not had anymore trouble with AT&T then I had with Verizon.

I guess it truly depends on where you live, but to escape the MMS issue I simply send photos, MP3, or other files thru email, it works a lot quicker anyway.:eek:

paulyras

macrumors 6502a
Dec 3, 2006
Singapore
MaryMichelle Joudi

AT&T Mobility

HQ – Office of the President[/B]

You, my friend, just encountered what we in the sales world call a gate keeper. You haven't gotten a response from a person of authority within AT&T, but rather from someone who is solely responsible for ensuring that person you're trying to reach doesn't have to deal with you...

Goodeye

macrumors 6502a
Jan 30, 2009
You, my friend, just encountered what we in the sales world call a gate keeper. You haven't gotten a response from a person of authority within AT&T, but rather from someone who is solely responsible for ensuring that person you're trying to reach doesn't have to deal with you...

Yes and to get past her you need to find the keymaster

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.