AT&T forcing you off Unlimited data plans

Discussion in 'iPhone' started by ice44, Sep 22, 2014.

1. ice44 macrumors newbie

I just got off the phone with a ATT rep. After asking why my Pre Order phone was delayed and the date seems to be extended out every other day they told me it was because I had the "Grandfathered" Unlimited Data plan and the system couldnt process my order from 9/12 because that data plan is no longer offered and I had to switch to a Tiered data plan.

Anyone else get this excuse or been forced to give up the unlimted data plan ?

Note I have had this plan since the birth of iPhone and even before that when I had my Blackberry.

2. TWO2SEVEN macrumors 68040

TWO2SEVEN

I upgraded yesterday through Apple. I was able to keep my unlimited data.

3. mctrees02 macrumors member

I would call in again for another rep. I would be very surprised if this was true as we would've already seen many others on here throwing a fit.

AT&T does not have a history of forcing you off expired feature codes. I worked for them during the mid-2000's and you would find plans that still had SOC codes from the early-mid 90's. To this day, you'll still find a few people with a rate plan called "The Perfect 10." It is $10/month for 10 minutes of talk time. Each additional minute was $1. It was offered in the days before prepaid phones for those who wanted a cell phone for emergencies only.

4. nws0291 macrumors 6502a

Pre-ordered 6 Plus' through apple and activated fine with unlimited data on ATT. There must be other issues going on.

5. cnotes2019 Suspended

6. Bentox macrumors member

Bentox

I pre-ordered mine through Apple on 9/12, and no changes were made to any of my AT&T rate plans, nor was there a hang up in processing. I just checked with the AT&T app right now, and yep - still have my Unlimited Data plan.

7. tgi macrumors 65816

tgi

Same for me. I upgraded on the 20th and just checked this morning to make sure my plan didn't change. Unlimited data plan is still there.

8. antiprotest macrumors 65816

antiprotest

No, not true. Talk to someone else but do not tell them what the first person said.

9. tekchic macrumors 65816

tekchic

Upgraded on the 19th -- unlimited data is still active.

10. traveller09 macrumors member

I pre-ordered day 1 on AT&T's website, listed right there for me to select was my grandfathered unlimited data plan. I selected it, completed my entire purchase in about 3 min. No problems. I am not giving up that baby for nothing.

11. Newtons Apple macrumors P6

Newtons Apple

I upgraded BOTH of our iPhones and kept our unlimited plans. I would go back and call this person a LIAR (obama)!

12. kezkensington macrumors newbie

Ordered direct through AT&T's website on 9/12... It gave me the option of keeping my Unlimited Plan, and even on the myorder screen it said something along the lines of: iPhone 6 64GB - Spay Grey - Unlimited Data (Grandfathered)... and received my phone at 10:00 a.m. on Friday 9/19... so they were definitely B.S.ing you to get you off that plan... Call and talk to a manager, I hope they can still put you back on!

13. bowlerman625 macrumors 68020

bowlerman625

Upgraded through Apple on the 13th. Still have MY unlimited data plan!

14. Applejuiced macrumors Westmere

Applejuiced

You got a clueless rep.
    I still got all 3 of my unlimited data plans with no probs.

15. aquababie macrumors member

aquababie

Call back. I still have the same plan from my 3G. I've never been forced to upgrade.

16. solo118 macrumors 65816

All they ask me is if I want to move to the mobile share plan... I say no thank you and still have the unlimited plan on my account (for 3 iphones on family plan)

17. doasis23 macrumors regular

doasis23

AT&T is going to have to pry my unlimited data from my cold dead hands. Did a cross upgrade with my wife's line.
    No problem

18. webbuzz macrumors 65816

webbuzz

It will happen at some point, same with Verizon.

19. Ntombi macrumors 68040

Ntombi

I preordered when the site went live, and Apple had no trouble getting AT&T to verify my info. Phone arrived Friday, and was activated within minutes.

I still have my unlimited plan and have no plans to give it up.

That rep was blowing smoke.

20. Applejuiced macrumors Westmere

Applejuiced

I doubt it.
    They will just continue the throttling at 5GB with AT&T.
    At least its not for 2 months like verizon plans on doing at 4.7GB

21. popeye88 macrumors member

Nope, I have AT&T unlimited data and was able to order my iPhone 6 via the Apple Store app with no issues.

22. monkey28rb macrumors 6502

FALSE! You CAN KEEP YOUR UNLIMITED.

23. asleep macrumors 68040

asleep