Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

ice44

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Sep 12, 2014
I just got off the phone with a ATT rep. After asking why my Pre Order phone was delayed and the date seems to be extended out every other day they told me it was because I had the "Grandfathered" Unlimited Data plan and the system couldnt process my order from 9/12 because that data plan is no longer offered and I had to switch to a Tiered data plan.

Anyone else get this excuse or been forced to give up the unlimted data plan ?

Note I have had this plan since the birth of iPhone and even before that when I had my Blackberry.

TWO2SEVEN

macrumors 68040
Jun 27, 2010
Plano, TX
I just got off the phone with a ATT rep. After asking why my Pre Order phone was delayed and the date seems to be extended out every other day they told me it was because I had the "Grandfathered" Unlimited Data plan and the system couldnt process my order from 9/12 because that data plan is no longer offered and I had to switch to a Tiered data plan.

Note I have had this plan since the birth of iPhone and even before that when I had my Blackberry.

I upgraded yesterday through Apple. I was able to keep my unlimited data.

mctrees02

macrumors regular
Feb 11, 2008
I would call in again for another rep. I would be very surprised if this was true as we would've already seen many others on here throwing a fit.

AT&T does not have a history of forcing you off expired feature codes. I worked for them during the mid-2000's and you would find plans that still had SOC codes from the early-mid 90's. To this day, you'll still find a few people with a rate plan called "The Perfect 10." It is $10/month for 10 minutes of talk time. Each additional minute was $1. It was offered in the days before prepaid phones for those who wanted a cell phone for emergencies only.

nws0291

macrumors 6502a
Apr 24, 2006
Pre-ordered 6 Plus' through apple and activated fine with unlimited data on ATT. There must be other issues going on.

Bentox

macrumors member
Sep 13, 2014
I pre-ordered mine through Apple on 9/12, and no changes were made to any of my AT&T rate plans, nor was there a hang up in processing. I just checked with the AT&T app right now, and yep - still have my Unlimited Data plan.

tgi

macrumors 65816
Aug 29, 2012
I upgraded yesterday through Apple. I was able to keep my unlimited data.

Same for me. I upgraded on the 20th and just checked this morning to make sure my plan didn't change. Unlimited data plan is still there.

antiprotest

macrumors 68030
Apr 19, 2010
No, not true. Talk to someone else but do not tell them what the first person said.

traveller09

macrumors member
Jul 16, 2008
People's Republic of Seattle
I pre-ordered day 1 on AT&T's website, listed right there for me to select was my grandfathered unlimited data plan. I selected it, completed my entire purchase in about 3 min. No problems. I am not giving up that baby for nothing.

Newtons Apple

Suspended
Mar 12, 2014
Jacksonville, Florida

I upgraded BOTH of our iPhones and kept our unlimited plans. I would go back and call this person a LIAR (obama)!

kezkensington

macrumors newbie
Sep 12, 2014
Ordered direct through AT&T's website on 9/12... It gave me the option of keeping my Unlimited Plan, and even on the myorder screen it said something along the lines of: iPhone 6 64GB - Spay Grey - Unlimited Data (Grandfathered)... and received my phone at 10:00 a.m. on Friday 9/19... so they were definitely B.S.ing you to get you off that plan... Call and talk to a manager, I hope they can still put you back on!

aquababie

macrumors member
Jul 1, 2010
Call back. I still have the same plan from my 3G. I've never been forced to upgrade.

solo118

macrumors 65816
May 16, 2011
All they ask me is if I want to move to the mobile share plan... I say no thank you and still have the unlimited plan on my account (for 3 iphones on family plan)

doasis23

macrumors regular
Aug 23, 2012
AT&T is going to have to pry my unlimited data from my cold dead hands. Did a cross upgrade with my wife's line.
No problem

Ntombi

macrumors 68040
Jul 1, 2008
Bostonian exiled in SoCal
I preordered when the site went live, and Apple had no trouble getting AT&T to verify my info. Phone arrived Friday, and was activated within minutes.

I still have my unlimited plan and have no plans to give it up.

That rep was blowing smoke.

popeye88

macrumors member
Sep 18, 2014
Nope, I have AT&T unlimited data and was able to order my iPhone 6 via the Apple Store app with no issues.

monkey28rb

macrumors 6502
Jun 19, 2010

FALSE! You CAN KEEP YOUR UNLIMITED.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.