AT&T found wife's JB/unlocked 3G and added a data plan?

Discussion in 'iPhone' started by jacobsen1, Jul 19, 2010.

1. jacobsen1 macrumors member

anyway around this?

I got an iP4.
    I jailbroke and unlocked my 3G
    I installed SBsettings and turned off Data, 3g and edge.
    I called AT&T and made sure all data was turned off on her accound.

She's been using and loving the 3G for the last month. Today she gets a text that they know it's an iPhone and that it "needs" a data plan and that they've added it for her. We're on a family plan with my parents, my dad and mom did the same thing with his 3G and my mom's has the same message.

Is there any way around this? Technically the phones are "out of contract" so WTF? I guess we could sell them and get the girls BBs or something else nice with the money that you can get w/o the mandatory data?

2. Brien macrumors 68020

Brien

On AT&T (and probably everyone else) all smartphones - not just the iPhone - REQUIRE a data plan to be used on their network.

3. maddux2005 macrumors 6502

If you have an iPhone, and it's active on the AT&T network, it's required you have a data plan. You can just use it as an iPod touch, but you won't be able to make phone calls. Otherwise you will at least need the 15$ per month data plan for 200mb of data.

4. jacobsen1 thread starter macrumors member

not true. When we first got AT&T I had a BB bold specifically because it DID NOT NEED a data plan and it had WiFi.

5. xmtgx macrumors regular

Wirelessly posted (Mozilla/5.0 (iPhone; U; CPU iPhone OS 4_0_1 like Mac OS X; en-us) AppleWebKit/532.9 (KHTML, like Gecko) Version/4.0.5 Mobile/8A306 Safari/6531.22.7)

Smart phones from any company require a data plan not just an iPhone.

6. HOiYA macrumors member

I am not convinced of this. My wife has been using a hand me down 2G for the past year with out a data plan. AT&T definitely knows that it is an iPhone as it shows on out account details, just no data. Maybe this is different for the 3G/3GS?

7. bmwhd macrumors 6502a

bmwhd

Those days are gone. You can still have it this way if you're grandfathered in from like 2 years ago but otherwise you have to have a data plan now.

8. old-wiz macrumors G3

Verizon requires data plans on all smartphones too. No way around it.

9. maturola macrumors 68040

maturola

Yeah, not sure how long ago was that, but for AT&T every single smartphone required a Data plan, it doesn't matter if you turn off "data", as soon as AT&T detect you are using a 'Smartphone" it will add a data Plan to your billing.

Here, from the AT&T FAQ:

Question:
    Is there still a minimum data plan requirement for smartphones?
    Answer:
    Yes, all smartphones must have at least the DataPlus 200 MB plan in order to remain active. The great news is that the plan is just $15 per month.

10. caltrinity macrumors newbie

there is one potential solution, but it might not be ideal: switch to an AT&T prepaid plan.

11. bowlerman625 macrumors 68020

bowlerman625

Ding
    Ding
    Ding

You're the proud winner of a new data plan!

Enjoy!

12. SAD*FACED*CLOWN macrumors 65816

SAD*FACED*CLOWN

no it is true...your situation was a fluke...if you use an iPhone on AT&T without a data plan it will be added without your consent

13. timmy2 macrumors member

theft of service

I know am a wet noodle - but trying to scam out of the datat plan is a theft of service

14. jacobsen1 thread starter macrumors member

interesting point. We got our AT&T account in feb of 2009. So we're a bit over 18 months in. I wonder if they'll let us switch those 2 lines over to prepaid? The other idea I had was switching the lines to another company with SIMs (ie not verizon) and using them there... But I'm not sure if they'll have an early termination fee for those lines before feb 2011?

15. brian540 macrumors member

how so? no data is being used there is no theft k?

16. Knowimagination macrumors 68000

Knowimagination

You could probably switch to tmobile and not use a data plan, but that seems like a lot of hassle to save 30 bucks a month. Especially when I am sure your wife will appreciate the ability to use a little data on the go.

17. timmy2 macrumors member

good point

That is a good point -

18. Munitalp macrumors 65816

They do scams for IMEI's... once that matches up with the iPhone then you are the owner of an iPhone data plan (if you didn't have one).

19. mantan macrumors 68000

No it's really not a good point. If one of AT&T's requirements for using a smartphone on their network is a having data plan.....then trying to circumvent it is theft.

I love how people is on this board will grab their torches and pitchforks about their rights as customers, yet try to help people circumvent their responsibilities as consumers. You're using a device on AT&T's network...like them or not, you have to play by their rules.

Pay the $15 and call it a day....chances are she'd probably enjoy using it more with the data service anyway....

20. ToroidalZeus macrumors 68020

ToroidalZeus

Ya except if you are not using data and thus don't have a data plan, you are not stealing anything = no theft.

21. Knowimagination macrumors 68000

Knowimagination

You are required to have a data plan which equals paying money to AT&T, circumventing data plan equals loss of money to AT&T which is theft

22. mantan macrumors 68000

OK, how about not complying with terms and conditions......either way it's all semantics. The rules are there, AT&T made the OP aware and rectified the situation. Either he does the right thing and pays for it...or he tries to find a loophole to continue using the device in an unauthorized manner....

23. brian540 macrumors member

I don't believe ATT or any other carrier for that matter should have the right to add the data plan the phone is clearly able to NOT use data its not like it needs data to make a call....

but yeah... unless you illegally change the IMEI I don't believe there is a way around it.

24. ToroidalZeus macrumors 68020

ToroidalZeus

Yes, because paying for data that you are not using is the right thing :rolleyes:

25. bobr1952 macrumors 68020

bobr1952

Freudian slip? "scams" probably is the best way to describe some of their business models. :D