AT&T free iPad month GIGANTIC mistake

Discussion in 'iPad' started by Julien, Apr 10, 2011.

1. Julien macrumors G3

Julien

I signed up for the free month for the iPad. It was a major pain and took about 30 minutes and several departments to get the plan. That was nothing compared to canceling/changing it. I just spent almost 50 minutes and even was transferred to Apple and had to re call AT&T. I finely got it canceled but.....

NOW I have to buy a new SIM card for $25 :eek: to start using the pay as you go plan. What a rip off. Not only did I spend 1.5 hours on the phone with AT&T now I have to make a trip to an AT&T store. Stand in God only knows how long of a line to spend $25 plus tax for a new SIM card before I can use my 3G iPad.

So just saying my time is worth $10 an hour (not counting stress) I will spend about $60 to save $25 for using the "free plan". :mad:

2. blevins321, Apr 10, 2011
    Last edited: Apr 10, 2011

blevins321 macrumors 68030

Why not just stick with the plan that you signed up for?

3. BobbieM629 macrumors regular

I actually had the OPPOSITE problem. I started on prepaid and wanted to go postpaid.. They made me go into the store for a new SIM. Like you, there isn't one 'next door' so I drove 20 min each way. They stated the day prior they were going to charge me $15, but when I got there they never did, because I let THEM activate it.

When you go to the store bring the iPad and have THEM set up the prepaid plan and see if they give you the card for free. My AT&T was only going to charge me if I took the SIM and set it up myself..

4. gigemzach macrumors 6502

When I tried to activate it, it was the biggest ordeal ever. After over 45 min of trying to get it activated I was successful with the AT&T reps. They acted like they had never heard of the postpaid plan. After getting it activated, the 3G symbol wouldn't show up. Another 2 hours on the phone with a dumb lady who didn't even truly understand what she was talking about. They told me I had a bad device and needed to go visit apple. Before I was going to make the 45 min trip each way, I decided to stop at the AT&T store 15 min away from my house. Told them I needed a new sim (free) and everything works beautifully now.

5. Julien, Apr 10, 2011
    Last edited: Apr 10, 2011

Julien thread starter macrumors G3

Julien

....because my job requires only office work (WiFi connection) for several weeks and then a couple of weeks in the field so I want to start plan when I need it and not be charged when not needed. But thanks for asking :D and now you know (sorry to everyone else for the TMI :eek:).

6. bmat macrumors 6502

Why did you have to pay for a new sim card. Last time I needed one I just walked into AT&T and asked for one, and they gave it for free.

7. Julien thread starter macrumors G3

Julien

I haven't (re read my OP, especially the Bold text;)) but was told this on the phone. I will of course try and "honey" a free one after my time in line.

8. kvizzel macrumors 6502a

I agree.

I went into the store, they made me activate the sim card iPad, then they said that wouldn't work so they had to give me a new sim card with the promo.

So I was already charged $25 for prepaid. I tried calling in to cancel the prepaid, was told I will NOT get a refund. WTF???? Wasn't even my fault.

So I just used the promo, used as much data as I could. Called ATT told them they sucked and canceled.

9. triplecore1 macrumors member

Would you happen to know if the one month free is applicable to both prepaid and postpaid customers. I am prepaid and hoping I will be eligible for the first month free which I saw advertised the day I signed up.

10. Mlrollin91 macrumors G4

Mlrollin91

Only postpaid.

11. BobbieM629 macrumors regular

Yea.. As long as you have them set up the plan they will give you the SIM free.. I don't doubt.. ;)

12. euphoria47 macrumors member

Prepaid SIM activation is different. You get a free SIM often with postpaid, as they know you will be paying it off (really these things are worth pennies). To switch from postpaid to prepaid, you will have to buy a SIM, as far as the provider is concerned you will likely never pump a dollar into the prepaid account – or so carrier reasoning goes. Prepaid SIMs cannot be used on a postpaid account, and vice versa. This seems to be a limitation in the way GSM carriers are set up everywhere I have been.

13. serialtoon macrumors 6502a

serialtoon

Android phone tethered to my iPad allows me to avoid all that mess.

14. Julien thread starter macrumors G3

Julien

Hate to say it but again but (re)reread my OP.:eek: I had a free "Pre Paid" AT&T setup plan and I want it to be a Pay As You Go (I select the plan and when/if to use) so I just need a new SIM card and NO plan setup.