AT&T Full Price Paid - Apple Saying 2-year Contract

Discussion in 'iPhone' started by manhattanmania, Sep 12, 2014.

1. manhattanmania macrumors regular

Hello! I ordered a 6+ via the Apple Store App for in-store pickup 9/19. Since they wouldn't let me do Next (in NY) I paid the full price (said no contract extension). After purchasing though, in the confirm email, it says 2 year contract with the $40 upgrade fees and everything. I'm VERY confused because why would the contract be extended if I'm paying full price?

I then checked back in the app to get a screenshot of where it says "no contract extension" and by that point they had changed the wording to "upgrades every 24 months." ?!?!

However, on Apple.com, it says that if discounted upgrades weren't available then no contract extension is required. It's all very confusing and I'm nervous I'm going to show up to the store and they are going to tell me I can't have the phone unless I extend the contract which I'm obviously not doing.

Anyone else in this boat? Also, anyone happen to have a screenshot of the app where it said "no contract extension required"? Trying to gather evidence lol

2. ReallyBigFeet macrumors 68030

ReallyBigFeet

I think many of us that did full price upgrades got the same confusing statements. Having gone through this once before with ordering from Apple and provisioning from Verizon, there is no contract extension added to your contract. And if there is, you can almost surely call your carrier and show them proof you paid full price for the upgrade and therefore are not obligated to take a contract extension.

The upgrade fee of $30-40, however, is likely carrier-specific. Sometimes I've gotten Verizon to waive that when I've bought a phone off of Craigslist, and other times it took a lot of work and still ended up paying it. Just depends.

3. manhattanmania thread starter macrumors regular

thanks! makes me feel a little better. i figure i'll just put up a (polite) fight if they press the issue, or go to AT&T afterward to have it rectified. hopefully all works out!

4. MyiBill macrumors 6502

Was having the same issue but on the order page it says if your currently receiving the $15/$25 next discount you must select the next plan otherwise you will loose that discount, even if you pay full price for the phone. Ended up going the next route on a different line and will just pay it off when I receive it.

5. manhattanmania thread starter macrumors regular

that's actually only true if you get any sort of discount with a two-year contract. if you pay full price for the phone you are able to keep the discount.