AT&T Gateway, Time Capsule, and AirPort Express

Discussion in 'Mac Accessories' started by bmorris, Jul 18, 2010.

1. bmorris macrumors 6502

bmorris

I am getting AT&T installed next month.
    They have there own modem/router gateway.
    I currently use my own Motorola SB 4220 modem with my Time Capsule with Comcast.

Can I have the gateway as the main wifi in the living room, the time capsule in the office for wireless backups/expanding wifi/run a wireless-n network, and have the airport express in the bedroom for expanding wifi/wireless music?

I have a mac mini in the living for playing movies and it also holds my itunes library. our computers read the library wirelessly so right now its wireless-n.

2. Eric-PTEK macrumors 6502

Keep using your modem.

The 2 Wire Gateway is a POS. Since your a home customer the Motorola Netopia is not an option. If you can get the installer to put the Gateway in bridge mode and use your Airport to authenticate but that basically does the same thing as keeping your modem. ATT will give you the option of modem or a 2 Wire though so you could get a new modem for them.

How big is the house? Will the Airport not reach? I don't think the 2 Wire has a wireless bridging mode so you'd end up with 2 different WAP names in your house.

Unless of course your not talking DSL but instead talking U-verse in which case I'd ask the same question, put it in Bridge mode and let your Airport do the work.