AT&T GigaPower and Router

Discussion in 'Mac Accessories' started by southerndoc, Feb 25, 2016.

1. southerndoc macrumors 65816

southerndoc

Sorry if this is in the wrong forum, but I wasn't sure which one to post in.

AT&T is installing GigaPower in my neighborhood. I should be able to sign up for it in 3 months.

I'm not sure how the installation goes, and I was hoping if someone on here has GigaPower.

- Does AT&T run fiber optic to your home, or does it use a combination of fiber optic and copper?
    - Can I use my own router with their service (Ubiquiti EdgeRouter Lite)? I have about 50 static IP addresses, VPN setup, etc.

Thanks!

2. heathpitts macrumors member

Fiber is run to a box outside your house. From there, it connects over copper Ethernet to the "modem" that is placed in your house. My house was built with Ethernet to the back of the house but I assume they run one if you don't already have that. Not sure if they could use existing coax for that connection but maybe. As for using your own router, it's sort of a yes and no. The modem will not go into bridge mode but you can place your existing router into what they call a DMZPlus zone. This at a high level opens up every port that isn't assigned to another device on your network and sends it to the device that you specify. Your router is set for DHCP and it gets the external IP of the att modem. It does work. What you will lose is the ability to use the AT&T remote app to change channels since the app doesn't think it's on your tv network. But that's a rarely used feature for me but it does come in handy from time to time.

3. southerndoc thread starter macrumors 65816

southerndoc

I plan on keeping Comcast for TV (I'm a huge TiVo fan, which doesn't play well with Uverse).

4. heathpitts macrumors member

Then you should be good to go

5. BrianBaughn macrumors 601

BrianBaughn

Does Comcast have "Blast" in your area? You should call them and see if they have any package deals that would be competitive, overall. The deals usually last a year so I have to call every year.