AT&T grandfathered unlimited data: 3GS to 6 question

Discussion in 'iPhone' started by entlassen, Sep 12, 2014.

1. entlassen, Sep 12, 2014
    Last edited: Sep 12, 2014

entlassen macrumors member

AT&T's grandfathered unlimited data plan was originally called "Unlimited Data for iPhone" and then the name of the plan changed to "Unlimited 4G LTE plan" when 4G-speed iPhones came out. However, I have been using the 3GS all these years and currently on my AT&T account, my data plan still goes by the old name.

I ordered a full-price no-contract iPhone 6 on the AT&T today, and nowhere in the ordering process did it ask me to change my plan. When I get my iPhone 6, will my data plan still be called "Unlimited Data for iPhone" or will it automatically upgraded to "Unlimited 4G LTE plan"? Just wondering, because if for some reason my iPhone 6 is still on the "Unlimited Data for iPhone" plan, I'm wondering if I'm screwed somehow because it's not labeled as unlimited for 4G LTE.

2. Munitalp macrumors 65816

Pretty sure that it just switches the names once you use an LTE enabled iPhone… although they are exactly the same plan.

3. entlassen thread starter macrumors member

OK, because I'm reading an article here (written for the 5s) where the guy says he actually had to manually select the "Unlimited 4G LTE" option. http://evolver.fm/2013/09/20/how-to-upgrade-to-iphone-5s-without-losing-your-unlimited-data-plan/

When I ordered the full-price no-contract AT&T iPhone 6 I never got any option to do anything to my plan.

4. iSkipTheS's macrumors member

If you saw the full price for the phone you may not have been eligible for an upgrade yet. When I tried to order, all I was seeing were the Next plans and the full price for the phone on the AT&T Premier site. After checking my wife's account I discovered that I was not eligible for an upgrade until Oct. 12th (forgot I waited a month last time). I clicked the shared upgrade button at the bottom of the page and swapped our eligibility dates. I was then able to select and keep my Unlimited plan and upgrade without the Next plan.

5. entlassen thread starter macrumors member

I fulfilled my 2-yr contract years ago and have been eligible for an upgrade for years. I was able to see the full-price phone on the AT&T site but I did not see that option on the Apple Store site.

6. iRobby macrumors 6502a

iRobby

If you go on the Apple Full Website and order the phone with Next they never ask you to choose a data plan. They just add the installment fee with your existing Grandfather plan. it shows up after you add to cart. I have an iPhone 5S Grandfathered. I wanted the iPhone 6 Plus but my store only has the iPhone 6 not iPhone 6 Plus for in-store pick up.

I don't want to wait 4 weeks so I closed the transaction and will try to get the same deal at the Apple Store next week