AT&T Grandfathered Unlimited Data Upgrade Oddity

Discussion in 'iPhone' started by sdsvtdriver, Sep 12, 2015.

1. sdsvtdriver macrumors 65816

went to re-up the 2 year agreement. AT&T premier offered various NEXT plans, full price, and $199 +2 year. Selected the latter. Picked the 64GB and checked out. Total cost now was $299+tax. It also stated that I owe a MONTHLY charge of $24.xx! This makes no sense as this is an upgrade with a subsidized plan. Wondering if anyone else has come across this.. i haven't seen any posts here about this yet so I assume not.

Wondering if this is an error on AT&T's site or if they eliminated the subsidy and I missed that announcement.

2. undies1993 macrumors 6502a

The monthly charge is for the data.

Mine showed $24.xx at a discount from $30. Thought it was very strange. Also upgraded another line on the account that doesn't have unlimited data and it was $30 for 3 gb.

3. sdsvtdriver thread starter macrumors 65816

Thank you. The website / confirmation email is a bit misleading (and I've been on the east coast so it's 3am in my mind).

4. undies1993 macrumors 6502a

I am east coast too. I am still confused by it showing a discount from $30... so.

5. pavelbure macrumors 6502a

mine said 0 due monthly. I really dread doing this crap, due to the sneaky ways they make everything. I ordered off of the app.

6. undies1993 macrumors 6502a

Mine was online.

7. undies1993 macrumors 6502a

Was your's on the "premier" site?

8. Titleist macrumors regular

Titleist

Same here. I actually upgraded another line instead of my own. Said $0.00 extra a month. So bill remains the same. Just added two year contract. My line is already contracted for another year or so with Unlimited Plan. All of this has been so confusing. I ordered off the app, and it went really smoothly. Actually ordered about 3-4 minutes before midnight.

9. sdsvtdriver thread starter macrumors 65816

The lack of consistency is odd. There should be no discount off the legacy iPhone data plan... the MVS discount the data so perhaps they goofed and added the discount to the grandfathered plans or the website is just wrong.

10. undies1993 macrumors 6502a

This is what I got in the email.

Attached Files:

11. sdsvtdriver thread starter macrumors 65816

12. Gin Gin macrumors regular

Gin Gin

I've always had a Premier/FAN discount on my grandfathered $30 unlimited data. Mine saves me a whopping $6.60/month.

13. undies1993 macrumors 6502a

I think this was my first upgrade since the discount was added to my account so they are just now giving me the unlimited discount.

14. sdsvtdriver thread starter macrumors 65816

i always had the discount too but it was never called out like this on the upgrade. I always though only the voice plan was discounted and the rest wasn't (Like Verizon used to do), but I did the math and the discount is off the V & D plan, but not messaging.

15. rockstarjoe macrumors 6502a

rockstarjoe

Whew thanks for explaining this guys. I noticed the monthly charge too and was confused. But now that I have slept a little and rereading it, it is as you say... $30 monthly data minus fan discount.