AT&T has me confused

Discussion in 'iPhone' started by Mikexpinoza, Jan 19, 2009.

1. Mikexpinoza macrumors newbie

Hey I'm a new comer. I have so many questions and things I have to learn about iPhones I need to know. Can u guys help me out. Well. I recently had the family plan with my gf but after we seperated she disconected by iPhone line. So I'm stuk with an iPhone but no plan. Phone is registered to my name and in my possetion And my quenstion is what r my options.I've personally gone to att&t to ask about a plan and what I can do with my iPhone??there answer is att&t att&t and only att&t But it seems like they act fishy about my situation. Should I stick with att&t but I read I can do tmoble.??can jailbreak help me out in any way??

2. ucfgrad93 macrumors P6

ucfgrad93

Jailbreaking your iPhone won't help you use it on T-Mobile. You need to unlock your iPhone in order to do that. Whether or not you can unlock depends on which iPhone and what firmware you have on your iPhone. Not sure of the details, maybe someone else can help you with that. Good luck.

Sorry to hear you split from your girlfriend.

3. Hutch1 macrumors 6502a

Hutch1

You need Yellowsn0w. Yes that is a zero not an oh.

4. kas23 macrumors 603

kas23

Probably easiest to signed up for a new contract with AT&T and stick the new SIM in it. Don't the new iPhone 3Gs run over a different GSM frequency than T Mobile uses?

5. sergiuria macrumors 6502a

sergiuria

You can unlock and jailbreak both the 2G and the 3G iPhone on 2.2 firmware. You would be able to use Edge with T-mobile, but not 3G

6. SayWhat?! macrumors newbie

Confused

You did not mention if the iPhone was registered under your name or your girlfriends name on your previous family plan account, nor how long you were in that account, or if you were listed jointly. When you & your girlfriend first opened the iPhone account, I suspect you had a minimum contract term, and a penalty if you terminated the account before the end of the term. I am sure AT&T would establish an account for you (providing you were credit worthy, etc.), unless there was something wrong with your previous account. To me, this would be no different then a divorce or dissolution of a domestic partner relationship, which I expect AT&T to have a procedure for. Obviously, I do not know enough to guess why AT&T would not set up an account for you. In my opinion, if you want to take full advantage of the iPhone and it's features, then AT&T is the carrier for the iPhone in the US, and can provide those features. If not, unless you are very techie, getting the phone to work on another carrier's compatible network is a real challenge. Depending on the region and assuming an iPhone 2G, I suspect it would cost you about $60 a month (plus tax & misc fed fees, etc.) for a nationwide calling plan with 450 anytime, 5000 nights & weekends, and unlimited data with 200 text messages. You can check this out for yourself on the att.com website, or visit a store. Good luck!

7. Mikexpinoza thread starter macrumors newbie

Oman

Oman thanks for the replys........and Its a long story but I have time to kill. Hopely u can listen and help a poor man out. I'm barly 21. I'm really clueless when it comes down to phones. I had a 2year old razor before my iPhone. My gf well now my ex and I decided to get phones together and we tookk the jump to iphone. I payed for mine she paid for hers. We was under her name and in the family plan. My iPhone is registered under my name and I have apple care on it 2. Under my name as well. Everything was going good untill the iphone abilities and powers killed me. It came out that she had downloaded a program off my iPhone(loopd) when I wasn't paying atention she was able to watch my everymove. As long as I had my iPhone on and in my poket she was able to know where I was at and which way I was heading. Long story short she kept it a secret and tested me everyday until she cought me and my boys hanging out late when I had told her I was tired and going to bed.we broke up. She payed a fee and disconected my line. Haven't spoken to her. Don't know what's gonna happend. For all I know is that I have an iPhone .I probably have pay a visit to at&t. Could I jus get another iPhone and use the one I have as a bakup?can I sign up for a one year agreement with there crapy free phone and simply put that sim to my iPhone?could I sign up for a phone and get them to block the net completely off and change the sim to my iPhone and jus use wifi so I won't have to pay the $30 net fee????long story ya I know. Confusing. I know but I need help cuz now that I got exposed to an iPhone and this forum I Am missing my iPhone and the cool things it did for me.I've been reading and stuck in this forum for couple days filling my head with knowledge and getting smarter hehe

8. Rayfire macrumors 68020

Rayfire

I can't comment about your relationship (nor your ex) but that "loopd" you said is quite interesting ;)

9. calvy macrumors 65816

Doesn't loopt only update your location if you leave the app running? Why'd you have it running all the time? Seems like asking for trouble.

Sorry, I'm way off topic.

10. Knowlege Bomb macrumors 601

Knowlege Bomb

This is correct. Unless she jailbroke and installed backgrounder along with loopt and hid it in the background (smart girl :cool:), this isn't possible.

11. kas23 macrumors 603

kas23

Anyways, some girl that would do that and then get mad that you were out with your buddies is no girl you need to be in a serious relationship with. That's some serious issues! Be glad you got out while you could.

12. Hutch1 macrumors 6502a

Hutch1

Good thing you found this out now before she became a bunny boiler. You are one lucky guy, she sounds like a piece of work.

13. Oskee2001 macrumors regular

seriously, sounds like she had major trust issues (unless you did something to make her not trust you). Either way, if you had to lie to her just to be able to hang out with your buddies, then you weren't happy and are better off without her.

As for your iphone, i don't see why you can't just go into the AT&T store and activate it under your name.

14. n0otro macrumors member

no comment on the gf situation

as for ATT:
    As of almost exactly one year ago, you can now get an ATT sim with NO contract!
    http://www.boygeniusreport.com/2008/01/20/att-now-offering-sim-only-option/

So it will be exactly like you had your service before, except you won't be locked into any agreement! From what I hear, if you go to the store, the reps will try their hardest to get you to sign a 2-year contract, but under their new policy it isn't required! You should just ask for a SIM CARD ONLY!

hope this helps

15. Knowlege Bomb macrumors 601

Knowlege Bomb

So what you're telling me is if I have an AT&T phone from a friend or an old line, I can just walk into AT&T, ask for a SIM and be able to use their service without a contract? Sounds too good to be true.

16. Tallest Skil macrumors P6

Tallest Skil

Except when AT&T notices him using an iPhone on a non-iPhone plan, they will add the $30 data charge and change his plan entirely for the next bill.

17. n0otro macrumors member

Several different sources confirm the att no contract sim, as did att customer service when I called them last week. Of course they charge you for the sim and probably the phone activation fee, but you can get an ATT sim card with no contract.

Who said anything about using a non-iPhone plan? Just go to att, explain that you have an iphone that was already paid for (including ETF) and now you just want to start new service without a contract. Nobody is trying to fleece anybody here.

18. Mikexpinoza thread starter macrumors newbie

Blah I'm a square

Im dead. I went to at&t to sign up for a contract for my iPhone.Comes out I have crapy credit. Only way for me to get a line for my iPhone is to put down a 500dollar diposit. Which I don't have at the moment. So there is no way around the system for now. Back to the drawing bored.boooo for me. Thanks for the help pals though.

19. Mikexpinoza thread starter macrumors newbie

Wait wait...... Maybe

Can I get away if I sign up online?????:(((.I don't think but u forget I'm a square n ain't know *****

20. Rayfire macrumors 68020

Rayfire

They also require a credit check when you do it online.