AT&T Home Location Question

Discussion in 'iPhone' started by M0bile, Jun 15, 2008.

1. M0bile macrumors regular

So I know that AT&T has their "home location" deal or whatever where you have to make a certain number of calls and whatnot from within your "home area" or whatever it is. I'm living at my parent's house for the summer and then I am permanently moving to my college town in August. Can I activate my iPhone and new AT&T contract (I am currently an Alltel customer switching to AT&T for the iPhone) here and set my home area to where I am moving?

2. SFStateStudent macrumors 604

SFStateStudent

I think they call them "zones" but I could be wrong. You can set your iPhone to your new location, but you will probably have to utilize your current home location, until that move takes place.

3. M0bile thread starter macrumors regular

Awesome. As long as it can be changed, that's all I need. Thanks.

4. jplan2008 macrumors regular

I've been away from what AT&T has as my "home location" 99% of the time since I got my iPhone with no problems -- I think they only enforce this if you use roaming a lot -- if you're in an AT&T area, I don't think they care.

But, yes, you just need to give them a physical address for your "home" location -- so if you don't know where you'll be living, pick an address for a dorm on campus. This is separate from your billing/mailing address -- they won't send anything to that address if you have a separate mailing/billing address.

5. JBaker122586 macrumors 65816

Yeah. I've spent 27 of the last 36 months away from where I originally had my cell phone. No problems to report.

6. M0bile thread starter macrumors regular

Alright cool. I've known a few people who have had their AT&T contracts cancelled for not making enough calls in their home zones so I just wanted to make sure.