At&T HSDPA+ = 4G in their eyes

Discussion in 'iPhone' started by COSWORTH, Jul 31, 2011.

1. COSWORTH macrumors regular

What are the chances that they consider the ip5 a 4G device even if not LTE, I tried out an Atrix and got 4 texts from att daily that i needed to upgrade to an eligible 4g data plan blah blah blah, this was on a unlimited iphone data plan.

Will they make it necessary to have a 4g tiered plan when going to iphone 5?

2. Applejuiced macrumors Westmere

Applejuiced

We dont know yet what kind of plans they will put out or if they will force us to switch.
    But I think HSPA+ is considered 4G.

3. PNutts macrumors 601

PNutts

Yes. 4G is a marketing term and carriers are referring to their fast networks as 4G.

4. TB07-NJ macrumors 68020

I just got an AT&T 4G Android to replace my iPhone 4 and got the same texts. I like to sell before the new model is announced and prices drop. Eventually I called and they just switched my iPhone unlimited to their so called 4G unlimited. First they told me I was going to lose my unlimited (not that I really care) then they realized that I wouldn't.

5. Applejuiced macrumors Westmere

Applejuiced

True that.
    But as long as its fast like 8-12mbps then Im cool with it.
    True LTE and a crazy battery draining phone would drive me nuts.

6. ap3604 macrumors 68000

Same here, thank god you can turn off 4g LTE rather easily with the LTE onoff app. This way you could just turn off LTE (for battery savings) until you need the speed.

A feature that kills the battery very quickly is not a real feature to me...

7. erayser macrumors 65816

erayser

I remember when I got the 3G iPhone, I would turn 3G off to save battery... and I was content with edge. After playing with 4G LTE for a few months, 3G sort of feels like how I thought of edge was when the 3G iPhone came out. AT&T 3G isn't that bad, so adding a few more Mbps is fine with me if it doesn't sacrifice to much battery efficiency.

8. Pink∆Floyd macrumors 68020

Pink∆Floyd

My thoughts exactly!

9. rjohnstone macrumors 68040

rjohnstone

If the new iPhone supports 14.4Mbps (HSPA+) download speeds or higher, it would be considered a "4G" phone in AT&T's eyes.

The iPhone 4's radio tops out at 7.2Mbps (HSPA)

I'm positive Apple will put at minimum a 14.4Mbps radio in it.

10. COSWORTH thread starter macrumors regular

so bye bye unlimited, hello tiered data plan?

11. DDar macrumors 6502

DDar

I don't understand, why does AT&T even HAVE a 4G data plan?
    It's the same cost as the comparable 3G plan... Why not just have them both be one and the same?!

12. Hype2k2 macrumors 6502

Hype2k2

I don't pay anything extra for 4G all I did was give AT&T a call gave them an Infuse IMEI and bam unlimited 4g. So I would expect it wouldn't be different for iPhone users.