Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

cryo

macrumors member
Jun 20, 2008
Yeah, I decided not to buy a 1.0 iPhone in March because I knew the 3G was coming out soon. If I had bought the iPhone it would have cost 399/499.

Now I have a crappy nokia and am still only paying 399/499 for the phone, so I am ok with that.

The data plan is the same price as it would have been for a BlackBerry so I am ok with that too.

I don't understand why people are so upset right now.

My guess is people are upset because Steve Jobs said the most anyone would pay for the phone in most countries would be $199 or $299. I personally had a bad feeling that one of those exceptions would be the U.S., due to the corporate greed in this country, and sure enough...

tritonj

macrumors 6502a
Jun 12, 2008
Yeah, I decided not to buy a 1.0 iPhone in March because I knew the 3G was coming out soon. If I had bought the iPhone it would have cost 399/499.

Now I have a crappy nokia and am still only paying 399/499 for the phone, so I am ok with that.

The data plan is the same price as it would have been for a BlackBerry so I am ok with that too.

I don't understand why people are so upset right now.

people are upset because just like everyone else including companies they want to get everything for as close to nothing as possible, so they are upset when they see others getting better pricing then they are, but they all have short memories and forgot they already took their special deal earlier so now they have to wait to be eligible again.

FarSeide

macrumors 6502a
Feb 17, 2008
Earth Lane
My entire subsidy was $200 for my current Razr, and I'm halfway into my contract, so they are asking me to pay the full subsidy again, plus add a data plan, plus sign another contract.

Look at this way: AT&T is a greedy, vile corporation that loves to screw over its loyal customers.

This may cost them my business once my contract is up.

If its so "greedy" and a "vile corporation", take your ass to some other company like Verizon or T-Mobile. Lets see if they welcome you with the red carpet and hand you a RZR or Sidekick and dont ask you to sign a 2 year contract. Name me me one US company that would let you buy a newly released phone at a subsidized price regardless of your upgrade eligibility.

Your frustration is noted but this is standard business in all Cell Companies.

FarSeide

macrumors 6502a
Feb 17, 2008
Earth Lane
My guess is people are upset because Steve Jobs said the most anyone would pay for the phone in most countries would be $199 or $299. I personally had a bad feeling that one of those exceptions would be the U.S., due to the corporate greed in this country, and sure enough...

how the hell is it corporate greed...

When you buy a car and get it financed through a bank, do you NOT expect to pay interest to the Bank or are you wanting the Bank to just simply forget the first loan and let you finance another one ?

tritonj

macrumors 6502a
Jun 12, 2008
If its so "greedy" and a "vile corporation", take your ass to some other company like Verizon or T-Mobile. Lets see if they welcome you with the red carpet and hand you a RZR or Sidekick and dont ask you to sign a 2 year contract. Name me me one US company that would let you buy a newly released phone at a subsidized price regardless of your upgrade eligibility.

his frustration was brought on by his own action, so he can blame himself and be frustrated at himself

cryo

macrumors member
Jun 20, 2008

Standard business, standard business, subsidy, subsidy, this phone is being treated like every other subsidize phone. Complete BS.

Name me one other phone where the buyer is required to sign up for the data plan plus a 2 year contract when paying the non-subsidized cost.

That's what I thought.

This is the I hate AT&T thread, so take YOUR ass elsewhere and let us vent, since you have no clue what it feels like to have Steve Jobs say $199 and AT&T $399. I figured I could say my piece here and not get crapped on by everyone saying the same crap I have heard ad nauseum for 3 straight weeks after Jobs' snowjob speech. AT&T totally changed the rules for this phone, and you all know it, so don't keep talking about their subsidies and policies and contracts. They change their policies to maximize profits, and give loyal customers nothing in return.

AT&T would have profited off me by simply allowing me upgrade early, even with my subsidy, which is half paid. Why the heck should I have to pay the full $200 subsidy yet again when I then have to add a $30 a month data plan? No way!

You bet I'm taking my business elsewhere. I am probably not ever going to pay for anything but a pay as you go phone ever again, and it certainly will be with a different company.

Go start your AT&T ass kissers thread and leave us alone!

FarSeide

macrumors 6502a
Feb 17, 2008
Earth Lane
Standard business, standard business, subsidy, subsidy, this phone is being treated like every other subsidize phone. Complete BS.

Name me one other phone where the buyer is required to sign up for the data plan plus a 2 year contract when paying the non-subsidized cost.

That's what I thought.

This is the I hate AT&T thread, so take YOUR ass elsewhere and let us vent, since you have no clue what it feels like to have Steve Jobs say $199 and AT&T $399. I figured I could say my piece here and not get crapped on by everyone saying the same crap I have heard ad nauseum for 3 straight weeks after Jobs' snowjob speech. AT&T totally changed the rules for this phone, and you all know it, so don't keep talking about their subsidies and policies and contracts. They change their policies to maximize profits, and give loyal customers nothing in return.

AT&T would have profited off me by simply allowing me upgrade early, even with my subsidy, which is half paid. Why the heck should I have to pay the full $200 subsidy yet again when I then have to add a $30 a month data plan? No way!

You bet I'm taking my business elsewhere. I am probably not ever going to pay for anything but a pay as you go phone ever again, and it certainly will be with a different company.

well problem solved, GO ! See Ya and I hope you keep your word about not dealing with AT&T.

Greencardman

macrumors 6502
Original poster
Apr 24, 2003
Madison, WI
Yeah, I'm starting to think what irks me the most is the raised prices. AT&T raised the prices, presumeably to make money back from subsidizing. But people who buy an unsubsidized phone will still have to pay the extra money. So I'll be paying off my initial subsidized phone, plus the extra money for a subsidy i didn't get, plus I have to extend my contract longer.

Those nitwits who say the iPhone is just in line with other PDA's are forgetting that its not in line with other 3G phone rates. I already get unlimited data and 200 text messages for $20 a month. So my rates will go up when I pay full price for a phone. Essentially, AT&T will be getting me to pay off a regular phone at iPhone 3G rates. Which for those of you who can't do math, is a sucky deal.

tritonj

macrumors 6502a
Jun 12, 2008
Yeah, I'm starting to think what irks me the most is the raised prices. AT&T raised the prices, presumeably to make money back from subsidizing. But people who buy an unsubsidized phone will still have to pay the extra money. So I'll be paying off my initial subsidized phone, plus the extra money for a subsidy i didn't get, plus I have to extend my contract longer.

Those nitwits who say the iPhone is just in line with other PDA's are forgetting that its not in line with other 3G phone rates. I already get unlimited data and 200 text messages for $20 a month. So my rates will go up when I pay full price for a phone. Essentially, AT&T will be getting me to pay off a regular phone at iPhone 3G rates. Which for those of you who can't do math, is a sucky deal.

how is it not in line with other 3G rates? i only see 1 set of data plans available, ATT had a special data plan setup last year for iPhones, they have since decided that they are retiring it and it won't be available for new contracts. it is pretty cut and dry, nothing under-handed. if you currently have the old plan you can keep it, but when you re-up you lose it, same thing happens with any other carrier.

ATT will be offerring a no contract non-subsidized iPhone, so go and buy that one if you like your old data plan.

i know plenty of people who got in on a good deal with t-mobile a while back for unlimited text and data, the plan has since been retired, so they don't sign new contracts so they can keep the old plan on a month to month, they just buy phones when they want upgrades.

and we can do without the name calling

Sobe

macrumors 68000
Jul 6, 2007
Wash DC suburbs

That's what I thought.

If you had to buy it and had no other recourse, you'd probably find some sympathetic ears.

But you don't.

Look I understand, it's not what you thought you were going to get. That sucks. But vent and move on. Life's too short.

carve

macrumors 6502a
Feb 25, 2006
I switched to you a few months ago because you were the exclusive company for the iPhone. Now I don't get a discount on the new iPhone BECAUSE I switched to you. Please, offer all new-ish AT&T customers the better price.

They hate you too.

Greencardman

macrumors 6502
Original poster
Apr 24, 2003
Madison, WI
They hate you too.

Haha :) They probably do.

I wonder if I can keep my old data plan. Its only 6 months old, but I doubt I could buy an unsubsidized iPhone and keep it. If I could, then that looks like my problem is solved, and I will quit complaining. Paying $20 a month for unlimited data and 200 texts for the rest of my contract might make me back some money.

tritonj

macrumors 6502a
Jun 12, 2008
Haha :) They probably do.

I wonder if I can keep my old data plan. Its only 6 months old, but I doubt I could buy an unsubsidized iPhone and keep it. If I could, then that looks like my problem is solved, and I will quit complaining. Paying $20 a month for unlimited data and 200 texts for the rest of my contract might make me back some money.

you would be definition because the phone is not tied to a plan, therefore like any unsubsidized phone you buy, you are just popping a sim into it, there is no new service, they can't void out your old contract if you are using an unsubsidized phone, but on that note, the price difference from sub vs unsub is going to be $299/$599, so you pay the same amount either way and you get slower service

Greencardman

macrumors 6502
Original poster
Apr 24, 2003
Madison, WI
Why would the service be slower? I have a 3G phone now, and I would presumably buy a 3G iPhone. I wonder if visual voicemail would work and how much of a fuss they would put up?

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.