AT&T.. I want to purchase the phone for full price. Does this renew my contract?

OrlandoTragic

macrumors 65816
Original poster
May 13, 2007
Orlando, FL
Basically, I plan on dropping the full price for the phone since I don't have an upgrade for a long time.

When I check my eligibility on Apple, it shows that I can purchase for full price, but it also shows with two asterisks next to it, and those asterisks indicate that the purchase requires a new two year contract..........

Am I missing something here?

rxtiger

macrumors member
Oct 23, 2010
Trying to confirm the same thing. The app shows there is no contract extension when purchasing full price, but I'm not sure.

rambo47

macrumors 6502a
Oct 3, 2010
Denville, NJ
If you pay full retail for a phone it does not effect your contract. Only buying at a subsidized price effects your contract.

Dandrews524

macrumors 6502
Jan 30, 2009
New York
Basically, I plan on dropping the full price for the phone since I don't have an upgrade for a long time.

When I check my eligibility on Apple, it shows that I can purchase for full price, but it also shows with two asterisks next to it, and those asterisks indicate that the purchase requires a new two year contract..........

the only way to extend your contract is to pay the subsidized price of $199 or $299 depending on your model. If you pay full price for any of them there is no contract extension

AutoUnion39

macrumors 601
Jun 21, 2010
No, it doesn't.

If you pay full-price thru AT&T, it doesn't come unlocked (you have to request the unlock online), but it is contract-free.

Photography

macrumors 65816
Apr 10, 2007
I still don't understand how a full priced phone wouldn't be unlocked.
Contract free does NOT equal unlocked. It simply means that if you purchase the phone at full price, it won't extend your current contract.

C DM

macrumors Sandy Bridge
Oct 17, 2011
Contract free does NOT equal unlocked. It simply means that if you purchase the phone at full price, it won't extend your current contract.
I understand that's not how AT&T treats it, I'm just curious how they can explain/justify it (aside from "that's just how it is"). It's one thing when its locked because you are on contract or still owe them money on the phone (Next), but of the phone is outright yours and you have no contract or any other obligation to AT&T then what's possibly behind it?

----------

If you paid in full price for the phone, you just need to request an unlock from ATT. You shouldn't have a problem unlocking it.
They really should do that pretty much automatically as part of a full price sale.

ptb42

macrumors 6502a
Oct 14, 2011

I just saw this thread because it was "suggested" at the bottom of another. I'm following up -- very late -- in case someone else encounters it and is looking for an answer.

On launch day, I went into an AT&T store and asked them this very question: if I pay full price for the phone, will they sell me an unlocked phone?

The answer: No, all of the phones we sell are already locked.

My followup question: will you unlock it immediately?

The sales guy had to go ask the manager. The answer: No, not for 6 months. I should note that I'm not 100% sure he said "six months". It may have been a different length. But, it settled the issue for me because I wanted to unlock it immediately, for an upcoming trip out of the US.

I pointed out to him that I could buy an unlocked phone from Apple, so they were missing out on a sale. Then, I walked away.

The phone would have been contract-free, but still locked at least for a few month. But, I'm not sure you could initiate that transaction over the web -- you may have had to go into the store.

the caveman

macrumors 6502
Aug 21, 2007
AT&T.. I want to purchase the phone for full price. Does this renew my contract?

No, it doesn't.

If you pay full-price thru AT&T, it doesn't come unlocked (you have to request the unlock online), but it is contract-free.

This is not true. I purchased an ATT iphone 6 for a full price from the apple store and it came unlocked. Using it on tmobile now. They key here is to purchase. It full price from apple store and NOT att.

McDaddio

macrumors 6502a
Oct 6, 2014
I was able to get a full price phone without the contract extension on AT&T. No problem.

Question on the unlock though, I was thinking of unlocking it, but since I am still using AT&T, is there any reason to? I was thinking that if my phone was stolen, it is worth more to the thief unlocked? Or does it not matter since I would report it stolen? Not sure how that works.

mtneer

macrumors 68030
Sep 15, 2012
----------

[/COLOR]They really should do that pretty much automatically as part of a full price sale.
But why would AT&T not place another hurdle in front of someone wanting to go to another carrier? They would, of course, remove the lock on request. But, why do it voluntarily and make it easy for someone to leave?

If the lock could prevent even a few unsophisticated users from not knowing/ not bothering to request the unlock; and prevent them from leaving AT&T - it is worth it from their perspective. Those in the know, will call and request an unlock anyways.

the caveman

macrumors 6502
Aug 21, 2007
i just looked at the back of my 6+ and noticed that it doesn't say at&t anywhere on the phone itself... wonder when that happened....

Iphones, since their inception, have never had any carrier branding, not that i know of. Not sure about sprint though.

C DM

macrumors Sandy Bridge
Oct 17, 2011
But why would AT&T not place another hurdle in front of someone wanting to go to another carrier? They would, of course, remove the lock on request. But, why do it voluntarily and make it easy for someone to leave?

If the lock could prevent even a few unsophisticated users from not knowing/ not bothering to request the unlock; and prevent them from leaving AT&T - it is worth it from their perspective. Those in the know, will call and request an unlock anyways.
Why won't they also then not lock someone into a contract automatically either, and then those in the know will call and request not to be in a contract. ;)