AT&T in Phoenix

Discussion in 'iPhone' started by Sonoran, Oct 9, 2008.

1. Sonoran macrumors member

I am planning on making my switch from Sprint to ATT at the end of the month. I will be getting an iPhone & my wife just wants a phone that "makes phone calls & can take a picture" every so often.

I have heard complaints about dropped calls in the Phoenix area (I am around 60th St. & Greenway). And I have also read that the iPhone drops calls more frequently than other cell phone varieties.

Can anyone in the Phoenix area give me their experience with ATT here in the Valley?

Thanks.

2. Oilbrnr macrumors 6502

It is not as good as Verizon for sure. Scottsdale is pretty spotty, but that is generally the case. I have not had that many drops, but then again I don't make more than one call a day on average, and I have not really been around the valley much since July. :eek:

I live in the Rio Verde Foothills, and that area is covered by T-Mobile (as is most rural areas) for ATT, and it sux.

Try it for 30 days and see what you think.

3. rotobadger macrumors 65816

rotobadger

I switched from Verizon to AT&T when the original iPhone came out. Since then I have had more dropped calls and "No Service" per month than I did my entire 8 years with Verizon. I live in Ahwatukee (East Phoenix) and have spotty coverage here. I have NO 3G where I live (not that I care because when I'm home I'm on WiFi). On a coverage and reliability scale from 1 to 10 for AT&T in the metro Phoenix area I'd give it a 5 maybe (compared to say, a 9 for Verizon). If the iPhone wasn't such a fantastic device I'd leave AT&T in a second. We live in the 5th largest city in the country and I've found myself with "No Service" in heavily populated areas.

That's just my experience. Others may have different/better luck than I have.

4. thechad003 macrumors newbie

thechad003

i live

i live in chandler 101 and ray area and i have full 3G at all times usually hardly any droppped calls at all! its great just switched over from verizon a month ago
    CHad:apple:

5. rjohnstone macrumors 68030

rjohnstone

I'm a few miles down the road from you (40th and Cactus) and have perfect reception all the time. 5 bars
    I work up at 56th and Mayo and have great service there as well. 3 to 5 bars

I have a Nokia N75 (work phone) and a 1st Gen iPhone (personal) and the Nokia is consistently better though when it comes to having more "bars" of service.

6. pilotkid macrumors 6502a

I live in Chandler/Ocotillo and I had Verizon for about 8 years. The first 2 weeks I had AT&T(I've had them about a month now) I had more dropped calls that I have EVER had in my life...I did find a solution that works for me though! I turned off the 3G and killed two birds with one stone. One, all of my calls are now made on the Edge network and I haven't dropped a single call since. Two, I noticed a pretty big difference in battery life. I turn on the 3G when ever I need to do something on the internet but since there is almost always wifi around me this doesn't annoy me at all. Now that I have fixed my dropped callS problem I couldn't be happier!!!:apple::D:D

7. tony4d macrumors member

I went from Verizon to AT&T for the iPhone 3G. I'm in the SW area of Phoenix. Yea, basically, AT&T is no where near as solid as Verizon here. I have to say though, it has improved since the last time I had AT&T a little over 2 years ago.

8. Sonoran thread starter macrumors member

Thanks to all of you who have responded. I don't make many calls but I do use the Internet on my Treo 650 a lot. And I really use Calendar & Contacts quite a bit.

Great idea Pilotkid. I don't care if my call is 3G or Edge and there are lots of free Wi Fi places in the area and here at home.

I have also heard that if you call ATT enough about reception in your area that they can doing some 'tweaking' of their towers to help. I don't know if this is an urban myth but I will certainly try it.

Thanks agin for all your thoughts.