AT&T Insurance versus Apple Care

Discussion in 'iPhone' started by macher, Apr 7, 2015.

1. macher macrumors 65816

macher

AT&T insurance is $6.99/ month which includes lost or theft. Seems like Apple Care is similar but doesn't include lost or theft. Both there are deductibles if iPhone is water damaged as an example.

Am I missing something and can someone add which would be the better option.

2. cmichaelb, Apr 7, 2015
    Last edited: Apr 7, 2015

cmichaelb macrumors 68020

cmichaelb

I've had both and opted for the AT&T this time to due to loss protection. My only issue is, when I actually needed to use it, my phone wasn't in stock. it took two weeks before I was able to order my replacement.

Everything else went smoothly. They also lower the deductible the longer you go with out making a claim. I think it drops $50 after 6 months, and another $50 after one year of not making any claims.

Apple Care is great in that, if you have an Apple store close, they seem to be much more likely to just swap out your device for a replacement rather repair, at least, in my experiences.

3. barkomatic macrumors 68040

Now that Apple jacked up the deductible to $79 for the repair of a damaged iPhone *and* doesn't cover loss or theft I'm starting to think the AT&T option is a better deal.

4. eortizr macrumors member

None,, use Squaretrade, next day replacement, $5.00 a month and only $75 deductible.

Or if you are in a rush, they will reimburse you if you go to the apple store and get the device exchanged.

5. macher thread starter macrumors 65816

macher

Are they reliable?

6. bigdaddy223 macrumors regular

7. eortizr macrumors member

been using them for years, replaced 2 iphones and a Galaxy, all overnight next day with return box and prepaid shipping label.

8. Fanaticalism macrumors 6502a

ST is not reliable for phone replacements. Theres times when you cant even get someone to answer the phone. Why anyone would want ST over AC is beyond me considering they cost the same thing and AC covers defects with no service fee where ST does charge.

I used them once and never again.

9. ricktat macrumors 65816

A nice note about AppleCare + is that it can be cancelled if you get rid of your phone before the 2 years is up and you get a prorated refund.

If loss or theft worry you... that is the only reason in my opinion to get the AT&T version.

10. macher thread starter macrumors 65816

macher

I'm not really concerned about loss or theft, more concerned about damage protection. I have 2 Apple Stores within a 10 mile radius from me.

11. eortizr macrumors member

I don't know about your personal experience, but I never had issues with them, I can call right know and I will be talking to someone withing 5 minutes. Also you don't really need to talk to anybody on the phone, you can do the whole process online and get a replacement the very next day via UPS. And there is no 'service Fee' on Squaretrade either. You just pay your $75 deductible and wait for you new phone, then you have 10 days to ship your oldone back. Very simple process. One time I had water damage on an iPhone 5, since my wife was in need of her phone right away, she went to the apple store and payed $269 + her phone to get a water damage replacement and ST refund me the amount after submitting proof. Other thing I do like is that I don't have to pay the $99 in advance, I just pay $5.00 a month and I can cancel whenever I want.

12. uwdude macrumors 6502a

I've had both AT&T and Applecare+, and I agree that unless you're worried about theft, the Applecare+ is a lot less hassle and less deductible. On AT&T you have to make it 12 months without a claim for the deductible to go down to $99, otherwise it's $149 or $199. And that $6.99 a month adds up to $83.88 per year. So comparing apples to apples, over a 2 year span the AT&T plan would be $167.76 + $99,$149, or $199 depending on when you make a claim, versus Applecare+ for those two years with the same 1 claim would be $99 + $79. Plus the ease of just walking into an Apple store and walking out a few minutes later with a replacement phone on the spot.

13. Rayy42 macrumors 6502

Rayy42

AT&T Insurance versus Apple Care

For me I did have AppleCare+ but I dropped it for AT&T insurance because I don't have a local Apple Store nearby (over an hour and a half away) and for AT&T Next it's not feasible since you're getting a new phone yearly.

With AppleCare I made one claim for a cracked screen on my 6. Then when I wanted to drop my coverage and upgrade to the 6 Plus I wasn't eligible for any prorated credits because i filed a claim. So all these hassles make AT&T more feasible for me especially since I get a new phone every 6 months typically.