Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

jlake02

macrumors 68020
Original poster
Nov 2, 2008
L.A.
I've been trying to do some research via Google but thought perhaps MacRumors members might offer real life advice.

What are your thoughts about AT&T phone insurance (which covers loss) vs. Apple Care?

Apple care seems a bit less expensive but you're out of luck if you lose your phone. Also, Apple Care has lower deductibles.

Can people share their experiences with the two? Right now I'm leaning towards AT&T's insurance. Although the deductible is higher the odds I lose my phone are probably about the same odds as breaking my phone.

sydia21

macrumors 6502
Jul 1, 2010
Washington, DC
With my 4s I didn't get AppleCare+, just went with the AT&T insurance as I was more worried with losing my phone than breaking or damaging it. Plus I only keep iPhones for one cycle and ordinary stuff is usually covered with the Apple's one year warranty. I had never broken any of my other 3 iPhones in the past.

This year as the new iPhone is thinner I thinking about doing both. I've already ordered AppleCare+ and my AT&T bill won't change at all and I already had the insurance. It maybe overkill but better safe than sorry.

I have never damaged my phones but there is always a first time for everything *knock on wood*

Last edited:

jlake02

macrumors 68020
Original poster
Nov 2, 2008
L.A.
With my 4s I didn't get AppleCare+, just went with the AT&T insurance as I was more worried with losing my phone than breaking or damaging it. Plus I only keep iPhones for one cycle and ordinary stuff is usually covered with the Apple's one year warranty. I had never broken any of my other 3 iPhones in the past.

This year as the new iPhone is thinner I thinking about doing both. I've already ordered AppleCare+ and my AT&T bill won't change at all ad I already had the insurance. It maybe overkill but better safe than sorry.

I have never damaged my phones but there is always a first time for everything *kmock on wood*

Isn't that wasteful to pay for both? Are there any benefits? Seems to me you'd only need one or the other.

mjpearce023

macrumors 6502a
Jul 10, 2012
Isn't that wasteful to pay for both? Are there any benefits? Seems to me you'd only need one or the other.

If applecare+ covered lost or stolen it would be no question but because it doesn’t insurance seems like the best bet. It would cost 849 plus tax to replace a 64gb iPhone so 200 is not that bad in my eyes. If they every change applecare+ to cover lost or stolen I will ditch the insurance.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.