AT&T Internet customers and free WiFi

Discussion in 'iPhone' started by Michael CM1, Apr 18, 2008.

1. Michael CM1 macrumors 603

OK, this confused me as I tried to get on a McDonald's WiFi network while traveling.

I have AT&T (technically BellSouth) DSL service. I was under the impression that we were supposed to be able to have free access to AT&T WiFi hotspots in a bazillion places, including McDonald's. I checked the AT&T WiFi site about such a thing and just see a bunch of plans that are $5-20/month.

Does anybody have a clue how to do this? Starbucks is supposed to switch to AT&T by the end of the year, so I would REALLY love to know how to jump on that network.

2. mallbritton macrumors 6502a

As far as I know access to AT&T's hotspot network requires that you have that plan on your bill. I don't think you get free access just because you are a wireless or DSL customer.

Regards,
    Michael

3. aphexacid macrumors 6502a

aphexacid

Its clearly listed as being free on the website in the descriptions of every DSL package except the basic 768k package.

I have the Elite pack, i've never had the chance to try out a free hotspot. i would assume you'd have to log in with your primary email address or something.

http://www.att.com/gen/general?pid=10938

4. camarobh macrumors 6502

Yes

Yes, you get free AT&T wifi hotspot access with AT&T DSL service (I have it too). All you have to do is enter your user id and password (same as you use for your home DSL service) and you are in. Not sure about McDonalds (never used it there) but I have used it at other locations.

5. Michael CM1 thread starter macrumors 603

That's what I tried and didn't have any luck. I didn't stay very long so I didn't try much else. Perhaps tomorrow I'll just go to one and figure that out.

6. ipodtouchy333 macrumors 65816

Wait, so are you guys saying to access internet on the iphone you have to pay? Is it like the ipod touch where wherever there is wifi you can use it or is it completely different. I'm thinking about selling my touch when the new iphone comes out but I am really confused about the internet thing ? Could someone explain??? Thanks !

7. gkarris macrumors 604

gkarris

You can use WiFi where it is available. To use EDGE is extra per month.

8. thatdude90210 macrumors member

McDonalds should have AT&T wifi. I've connected there before. I have the former SBC dsl, and I was using Devicescape (connects automatically, but requires jailbreak iphone). Should work the same without Devicescape, just need to log on manually.

9. RedInAustin macrumors newbie

Can anyone say for certain if you use your email login or your router login?

10. thatdude90210 macrumors member

For me, it was my full email address, like in "username@sbcglobal.net."