AT&T iP2 is 4G ready?

Discussion in 'iPad' started by Zeos, Mar 25, 2011.

1. Zeos macrumors 6502

I was at Best Buy last night looking at the ip2. A BB sales rep was rambling on about a lot of strange technical conspiracy stuff about Apple and iP2 (oh, brother), but the one thing that caught my attention was his comment that the ip2 only requires a software update to be 4G ready on the AT&T network. I doubt his statement based on all the weird stuff he was saying, but i'm not tech savvy enough on this one to know if he might be right.

2. jw nyc macrumors 6502a

It's possible it has an HSPA+ radio which AT&T calls 4G but isn't REAL 4G (like LTE) but I still doubt even that is true.

3. aristobrat macrumors G4

Sounds like the "original iPhone" conspiracy. It launched with EDGE, and some were saying that it only took a firmware update to get 3G.

The iPad2 has been dissected enough time, and analysts have scrubbed over every part inside. I'd be very surprised if there was a chip in it that had the potential to do LTE (4G) and nobody noticed it.

The original Xoom, on the other hand, could be shipped back to Moto, who would replace the existing 3G with 4G, for no additional cost (other than being without your Xoom for 6 business days).

4. bossxii macrumors 68000

It does have the a radio capable of talking with the same towers that T Mobile says are 4g. Frankly if VZW says LTE is 5 to 12mb down then my 3G is already in that band as I can pull 5 to 6mb down with 3 bars inside my house on ATT now.

Not that any if the 4g crap matters as long as were all data cap'd it's like having a Ferrari and only 2 miles of paved road. Big deal if you can go fast for 2 mins... What the heck are you going to do till the cap resets?

5. RadicalxEdward macrumors 6502

RadicalxEdward

that's a great point.

I also can't see apple enabling it. They want the iPad on verizon and att to be as similar as possible. There's no way they'd say "oh if you bought the att version, we're enabling 4G!!!"