AT&T iPad and Verizon 4S Idea

Discussion in 'iPad' started by drb1992, Mar 8, 2012.

1. drb1992 macrumors 6502

drb1992

I currently own a Verizon iPhone 4S, and I have the $30 2gb data plan. I had thought about switching to AT&T when the 4S came out, because of HSPA+ and $30 3gb data, but I decided not to because it would cost too much money (I am in a family plan on Verizon and I only pay for the data). With that said, I am considering buying the AT&T version of the new iPad and canceling the data on my 4S. I would do this because Verizon and AT&T won't be installing LTE in my area until at least late 2012 or sometime in 2013, so I might as well pay the same amount of money to get 1gb more and faster data. I have some questions /concerns about doing this though.

1. I am under a 2 year contract with Verizon, but I can still cancel my data plan and use the phone, correct?
    2. If I JB my iPad and get a tethering app(yes I know it may be awhile until the new iPad is JB), I can connect to the internet on my Verizon 4S through my AT&T iPad, correct?
    3. Is there any kind of activation or re-activation fee for an AT&T iPad? From my research, I have come to the conclusion that there is no kind of re-activation fee, but I just wanted to make sure/hear it from someone who has done it. If this is true, I will be able to re-activate the data for my iPad whenever I want and not worry about paying a fee.

I believe those are all of the concerns I had. If, you can answer at least one of them or add anything constructive to the thread, thank you.

2. HazyCloud macrumors 68030

HazyCloud

1.) It's my understanding that Verizon and AT&T won't allow use of iPhones without a data plan.

2.) It's possible, but like I said with #1, you'll have data on your 4S.

3.) No activation fee with tablet data plans. Use it when you like and turn it off when you like. (Never had one so I can't confirm. There may be one at first, but not every time you use it.)

3. macse30 macrumors regular

macse30

Don't think so.

4. patricem macrumors 6502

patricem

I chose AT&T because I want to use a surveillance camera that will send photo's directly to your email. You have to use ATT or T Mobile. I hope I can do this with the IPad. Otherwise I surely would go with Verizon. They didn't have the 1GB for $20 offered yesterday. Hmmmm hope I am doing the right thing!

5. Epic Xbox Revie macrumors 6502a

Epic Xbox Revie

You can only downgrade the data plan to the lowest tier, which is like $15.. Still saves $15 a month...