Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

rGiskard

macrumors 68000
Aug 9, 2012
Hack an unprotected computer: 3 years.

Conspire with a "rape crew" to drug a girl unconscious, gang rape her all night long, dump her body on some lawn and piss on her: 1-2 years.

WTF?

DisMyMac

macrumors 65816
Sep 30, 2009
If he had the slightest ties with intelligence then it would all be OK. Come to think of it, this could easily be a "don't do this" operation that never even occurred.

Brian Y

macrumors 68040
Oct 21, 2012
Sounds like you have sympathy for a guy who could wreck peoples' lives via identity theft. I have no sympathy whatsoever for this twerp. While I would love nothing more than to see bureaucratic nannies like Bloomberg and Emanuel taken down a notch, the truth is people like Auernheimer are a huge threat to all of us, and it needs to be demonstrated that identity theft simply can not be tolerated and will be punished harshly.

Personally, I hope during his stay at the Gray Bar Hotel, they completely eliminate any and all access to computer technology so that he can't find ways to continue to invoke havoc on others.

In that case - why aren't AT&T in the dock for leaving customer's data vulnerable in such an unprotected way. Maybe rather than giving "hackers" such harsh sentences, we should start making the people who left the vulnerabilities there in the first place accountable.

DGFan

macrumors 6502a
Mar 28, 2003
YEP.

more like 1 year dude. unreal....

You can't compare the rape case to this one because those were teenagers. They were falling under a different set of rules. A teenager found "delinquent" (not "guilty", that is a term for adults) for hacking would not have received 41 months most likely.

Medic311

macrumors 68000
Jul 30, 2011
You can't compare the rape case to this one because those were teenagers. They were falling under a different set of rules. A teenager found "delinquent" (not "guilty", that is a term for adults) for hacking would not have received 41 months most likely.

i don't care about the ages, i am talking specifically about the crime.

rape is rape. being 17 vs being 18 does not change the crime. rape at ANY age should carry more than a 1 year sentence period. that right there is another problem with the system.

superriku11

macrumors member
Jun 16, 2012
United States
Sounds like you have sympathy for a guy who could wreck peoples' lives via identity theft. I have no sympathy whatsoever for this twerp. While I would love nothing more than to see bureaucratic nannies like Bloomberg and Emanuel taken down a notch, the truth is people like Auernheimer are a huge threat to all of us, and it needs to be demonstrated that identity theft simply can not be tolerated and will be punished harshly.

Personally, I hope during his stay at the Gray Bar Hotel, they completely eliminate any and all access to computer technology so that he can't find ways to continue to invoke havoc on others.

Identity theft is near impossible if you're intelligent about how to protect your information. If you're just stupid and don't protect yourself, you kind of deserve whatever you get.

Small White Car

macrumors G4
Aug 29, 2006
Washington DC
In that case - why aren't AT&T in the dock for leaving customer's data vulnerable in such an unprotected way. Maybe rather than giving "hackers" such harsh sentences, we should start making the people who left the vulnerabilities there in the first place accountable.

So you're saying that it's ok to rob grocery stores. Because, you know, they have less security than banks. If they really didn't want me to steal that ham they should have locked it up!

I'd say that it's the intent to commit a crime that's being punished here, not the ease at which it was done. By that logic you should say drunk driving shouldn't be punished at all since it's the easiest crime of all!

extradryny

macrumors member
Jun 2, 2011
This is the cyber version of breaking and entering. You can't just walk into someone's house and have a look around.

I would hope one wouldn't go to prison for 3 1/2 years for walking into someone's house and looking around.

crisss1205

macrumors 6502a
Oct 7, 2008
NYC
In other news, if you rape and photograph an unconscious teenager, you get 1-2 years.

If you actually read that story, you will find out they they will serve a minimum of 1 year, with the possibility of being detained until once teen is 21 years old, and the other until 24. So the older kid could technically get 7 years.

Medic311

macrumors 68000
Jul 30, 2011
If you actually read that story, you will find out they they will serve a minimum of 1 year, with the possibility of being detained until once teen is 21 years old, and the other until 24. So the older kid could technically get 7 years.

but you know they won't......

once the news media witch hunt is over, the prosecution won't be pressured to make a big deal about it anymore and they will move onto the next high-attention case

crisss1205

macrumors 6502a
Oct 7, 2008
NYC
but you know they won't......

once the news media witch hunt is over, the prosecution won't be pressured to make a big deal about it anymore and they will move onto the next high-attention case

I know, and this guy will probably not serve 41 months either.

TheHateMachine

macrumors 6502a
Sep 18, 2012
What is even more unreal about this is the fact that all he did was obtain a list of email addresses and publish it.

That said, the guy who did this is a real class act. He's nothing but a troll trying to disguise himself as a Social "Hacktivist"... read up on the guy and you will see how much of a turd he really is.

Bluestrike2

macrumors member
Nov 9, 2008
Pittsburgh, PA

Are you even familiar with the facts of the case? I'm not the sort of person who thinks computer crime ought to have no consequences -- far from it, in fact. I am, however, quite alarmed by an overzealous interpretation that effectively criminalizes the legitimate GET requests after the fact.

You request resource X at a given URL. The server responds with the requested resource. That's it, end of story. If you're allowing public access to your systems, the onus is on you to secure it. AT&T didn't.

The "open front door" metaphor a few people in here have used is absurd, precisely because of it fails to recognize how the HTTP standards operate. Ignoring the plethora of biases associated with the "home" image, the better (but still flawed) analogy would be that you walk down a street, knocking on the doors to various homes, and the houses choose to open the door for you in order to allow access.

Michael73

macrumors 65816
Feb 27, 2007
Ignoring for second whether the punishment fits the crime, I'm just sayin' that it's a shame that people's abilities can be used for more constructive purposes.

samcraig

macrumors P6
Jun 22, 2009
USA
Something tells me that in prison, this guy's "security" is going to get breached by a lot of people looking to access his system through the back door.

stefanmusic

macrumors newbie
Nov 2, 2010
AT&T should be the one on the line here. They are the ones with the responsibility to not allow others to access your information. And until we stop allowing companies to be reckless with our data more holes like these will found and accessed.

Yes I agree...
AT&T should be paying here. They can't be trusted to secure our data from hackers.
How come the fine goes to AT&T and not the poor people who are the real victims of this identity theft ?!?!
That's complete nonsense.

CGagnon

macrumors regular
Jun 24, 2007
Such a simple attack too. Any script-kiddy probably could have pulled off this attack. I think AT&T should be held partly responsible for writing such crappy code.

-- Professional Pen Tester.

crisss1205

macrumors 6502a
Oct 7, 2008
NYC
i know, hence why i exactly said that in an earlier post.

thanks for reading, do come again

I didn't read every single post you made, you were the one that replied to me.
And the second someone starts talking about politics I just stop reading completely.

Yet you continue to say they are only getting 1 year for the rape.

carlgo

macrumors 68000
Dec 29, 2006
Monterey CA
The hacker society is just so full of themselves, saviors of the world they think they are. Most of them live in their own world, too far removed from actual reality and so they start to thing they are so clever and ordained even.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.