Carrier AT&T iPad unlimited data Sim works in iPhone 6+, kinda

Discussion in 'iPad' started by T0MMYBOY4, Oct 4, 2014.

1. T0MMYBOY4 macrumors regular

I noticed a few posts on here asking whether or not an iPad Sim would work in the iPhone 6+. I have the old grandfather unlimited data plan for the iPad, and just tested it on my iPhone 6+ with AT&T. I change the APN to AT&T broadband as required to make this work. I popped the Sim card into the phone, it said no service for about 10 seconds, and then my signal appeared. Only problem is, I can't get the LTE signal to appear. It will only connect to the HSPA+ "4g" network.... It won't connect to the LTE network. As I recall reading some other posts on here, people were having the same problem with their iPhone 5 and 5s doing this exact same thing. Does anyone recall what the solution was to get the phone to connect to LTE network with the iPad Sim in the phone?

2. Truefan31 macrumors 68040

Truefan31

3. T0MMYBOY4, Oct 4, 2014
    Last edited: Oct 4, 2014

T0MMYBOY4 thread starter macrumors regular

Well, I didn't try to toggle it on/off. LTE was already set "on". I will try to toggle LTE on/off and see if that does anything.

EDIT: just tried it again. Toggled LTE on/off. Didn't help. iPad sim is set up for LTE. I currently use the sim in my cradlepoint router, and get great LTE speeds. I occasionally put the sim in my iPad mini, and get LTE connection on that too. Idk why the phones won't connect to LTE. Weird.

4. Truefan31 macrumors 68040

Truefan31

Hmm should work. Maybe technologe can chime in

5. bwapod macrumors member

Go to: http://www.unlockit.co.nz

Download the AT&T BROADBAND apn and install.

It'll take a few minutes, but eventually LTE should start working.

6. T0MMYBOY4 thread starter macrumors regular

I did all of that already. Thats how I was able to connect at all. Still won't give me LTE. I get GREAT LTE reception where I am... So idk what the issue is. I may try to play around with it some more and see if I can get it to connect. Thanx for the suggestion though...

7. Bearxor macrumors 6502a

If you're still using the micro SIM that came with the original iPad, it's not compatible with the LTE network. You need to have the SIM itself replaced.

8. T0MMYBOY4 thread starter macrumors regular

I'm using a nano SIM card.

9. Bearxor macrumors 6502a

Great, rules that out.

10. jacklivehere macrumors member

you may want to check the IPAD details in at&t ipad landing page.

the ipad details you entered in ipad landing page should be AT&T LTE Capable