AT&T iPhone 3G S Pricing Structure!

Discussion in 'iPhone' started by Shaan, Jun 9, 2009.

1. Shaan macrumors member

Here is the pricing structure for the new iPhone 3G S in the US:
    (all prices are $-99/$-99 16GB/32GB)

"New & Qualified" AT&T customers w/ signing new 2 year agreement:
    $199/$299
    -to be "qualified" you must have had your contract for 18+ months if you didn't have an Original iPhone, or 12+ months if you had the Original iPhone. You must also lock in for 2 years with AT&T.

Partially subsidized pricing w/ signing new 2 year agreement:
    $399/$499 + $18 upgrade fee
    -with this option you pay a $200 surcharge over the subsidized price (included in the above quoted prices) and an $18 upgrade fee but must lock in for two years from the day you buy the iPhone 3G S.

Unsubsidized pricing w/o signing new 2 year agreement:
    $699/$799 + no additional upgrade fee edit: $599/$699 + no addition upgrade fee
    -this option gets you the iPhone 3G S handset completely free of contracts or ties to service, however the phone is still locked to AT&T only.

Apple and AT&T are currently only accepting pre-orders on option number 1, you can not pre-order an iPhone 3G if you have had your AT&T plan for less than 18 months (or 12 months if you had the original iPhone). They will be reserving a number of handsets to be sold to people who did not or could not pre-order because of their plans. Edit: this is for in-store and phone pre-orders. Option 2 can be pre-ordered online.

Hope this helped clarify the pricing confusion of the new iPhone 3G S.

2. Rat-Boy macrumors 65816

Rat-Boy

No, because it doesnt say WHY someone would get option 2 or 3.

I am forced in to option 3 and I do not know why.

3. Ferris23 macrumors 68020

Incorrect.

I have a 3G, for under 12 months, and I was not only able to pre-order on Apple.com, but I also called the store and got verification that my pre-order was in the system.

Bad info there, the rest seems ok.

4. D3lta macrumors 6502a

The 'unsubsidized pricing' is actually $599/$699.

5. Ferris23 macrumors 68020

Yeah that's right, OP did you make this **** up or what?

This post is not accurate and should be closed or changed, people are confused enough.

6. fishkorp macrumors 68020

fishkorp

Not true. I'm in #2 (the $399 for 16GB pricing) and I ordered from buyiphone.apple.com and got my confirmation and shipping date. In fact, I placed 2 orders that way (both of them option #2) and both went through and got order confirmation and delivery dates for both.

7. Boiler macrumors regular

Original poster did makes this **** up.

I had the original iphone,
    and the iphone 3g since launch day,
    and I am not being given the subsidized price as soon as 12 months.

More often, it is 21 months.
    Some people have gotten 18 months.
    Randomly, my little brother got 12 months.

8. Shaan thread starter macrumors member

I just got off the phone with the Apple store in Boston and they said the "option 3" pricing will be $599/$699, not $699/$799 as they had originally quoted me. They also confirmed that pre-orders are not being taken on option 2 in store or over the phone, which I presumed meant they aren't being taken at all, but they are being taken online so I was mistaken there. Sorry for any more confusion I caused, I was just trying to help out :D

9. hard-case macrumors regular

hard-case

When did you buy your 3G?
    How much is your voice plan?
    How much is your data plan?
    Oh, and what region are you in?

10. Rat-Boy macrumors 65816

Rat-Boy

When did you buy your 3G? Bought two iPhone 3G's on launch day.

How much is your voice plan? I am on the 1400 Minute Family Talk Plan

How much is your data plan? On just my line, or on all five phones on my family plan combined? We have 2 iPhones, a Blackberry, and 2 regular phones, and the 3 smart phones all have unlimited data plans on them.

Oh, and what region are you in? Southeast

11. djaveragejoe macrumors newbie

djaveragejoe

Swapping SIM cards - 3G-3GS

So here's my dilema. I have both my wife and my phone on one account. I have the 3G and she has the 1st Gen. She is "qualified" for the $299 32gb 3GS upgrade, I on the other hand would have to pay $499 to upgrade.
    My question is if she were to upgrade and we swapped out sim cards (from my current 3G to the 3GS) would my number/line then be tied to the 3GS, and would her number/line then be tied to the 3G?
    I figured that's how it would work but I thought I'd ask.

12. TurboSC macrumors 65816

TurboSC

yea I went to my AT&T store and asked if they were taking pre-orders, and the guy looked at me and said: "They haven't trained us to take pre-orders..."

Protip:

1. Stop being lazy.
    2. Find a pen + Paper
    3. Write down information
    4. Congrats, you're trained.

13. Shaan thread starter macrumors member

Pre-ordering at Apple Stores, Apple Online, and AT&T just started today, not yesterday when the iPhone 3G S was announced; because of this, some employees may not have experience taking pre-orders, especially because there was no pre-ordering on the Original iPhone or iPhone 3G.

14. hard-case macrumors regular

hard-case

Ok. so for one of the 3G lines it'd be 89.99 + 30 for the data = 119.99, which is well in the range to be offered an early upgrade. My understanding is that on the line you want to upgrade, to be an early upgrader at 1 year you would need the calling plan + data plan to be $100 or more. I am unsure, though, as to how this would work on FamilyTalk secondary lines (is it done individually, as in 9.99 + data = no dice, or does the secondary line "assume" the level of the primary when considered for an upgrade).

There are only a few things I can think of...
    1. If you've missed payments/had your service deactivated, that would affect eligibility.
    2. Have you done an upgrade (of any phone type) on one of the other lines? If so, it is possible that perhaps that upgrade mistakenly pushed the eligibility to other lines. Things like that have happened before.
    3. Something in the FamilyTalk setup is screwy.
    4. I've heard that eligibility can differ by cell region. It is possible that might be the case, but personally I'd tend to doubt it.

What I'd recommend:
    1) Find an AT&T Corporate store...not your standard one but one that can handle both business and personal accounts, and sit down with one of their service reps (or the manager if you can) and go over your account status. I've sometimes had better luck with that than over the phone.
    2) Try contacting Apple support. I had AT&T issues when I bought my 3G, and to eventually get them resolved it took a call to Apple, and Apple pulling AT&T into a conference call with me, to sort everything out.

15. GoCubsGo macrumors Nehalem

GoCubsGo

Sorry buddy but as of 9/30/09 I will have had my 3G for 12 months. I will be granted the fully subsidized price according to my contact with AT&T today.
    It is indeed bad info. I'm tempted to just try to order the phone at the subsidized price just to see if I can do it even though I had no reason to upgrade yet.
    I'm not your little brother but I am in the same camp he is in. :)

I believe the OP is stating opinion and his general understanding as fact. It is not fact folks, you want facts call AT&T and/or Apple yourself. Don't rely on anyone's information here 100%. That's like taking stock tips from Bernie Madoff.

16. Shaan thread starter macrumors member

I have a few questions about the no-commit, no-contract iPhone 3G S:

1. I know it will cost $599/$699, but do you have to have a current AT&T plan to buy it or it completely free of contracts and just sold as if it was an iPod Touch that has the phone option? (I also know it's still locked to AT&T if you do activate it)

2. Do you have to be over 18 to buy it, because I have work on Friday so I was considering sending my kid to go wait in line and pick it up for me?

17. Shaan thread starter macrumors member

Just got off the phone with my local Apple Store. They confirmed that on launch day they will be selling the iPhone 3G S at all pricepoints, including completely unsubsidized, however the operator did not know about contract or age requirements. She also said that they are not expecting a big line at the store and that it should be no problem getting a phone without a pre-order.

18. Shaan thread starter macrumors member

Also just found this on the Apple iPhone 3G S website:

Does this mean if I pay these prices I will have to sign a new 2-year contract?

I thought these prices were the no-commit, no-contract prices?

Someone please clarify.

19. Shaan thread starter macrumors member