AT&T iPhone 4 Contract and Sim Card Questions!

Discussion in 'iPhone' started by egk69, Jul 1, 2010.

1. egk69 macrumors 6502

Hi excuse me in advance cause my english is not the best...

I have a few questions

1- Can I Cut my Normal Sim Card to Replicate a Micro Sim Card and use it on a iPhone 4? or is it completely different and this can not be done?

Or is there a way to buy the Micro Sim Card and get it activated with my Phone Number even when AT&T knows I dont have an iPhone 4!?

2- If I buy a iPhone 4 and then I sell it and start using another phone (any POS not smartphone) can I cancel the Data plan!?

I remember when I had the SE W600 and W810i and the AT&T Tilt and the AT&T Fuze, you could cancel the Data Plan after 3 Months even if you still have the Phone. I know that if you have a iPhone AT&T Requires a Data Plan for it, but what if you Sell it or ever lose the iPhone and continue to use a phone that doesnt require a data plan can you just cancel it?

This Questions comes because of this:

My account doesn't apply for a discount it just sais that I would have to buy the i4 full price or wait a lot, cause I bought my 3GS last august or something, but my Brother's contract its already over and he really doesnt care about phones so he would let me buy an iPhone 4 on his account , but offcourse i dont want to pay the $15 minimum Data Plan on top of the already $30 I pay for mine.

Is there a work around or am I completely screwed?

Thanks 4 your Help!! :apple:

2. dalen3 macrumors newbie

Yes to both. I did it.
    If the att customer support gives you problems about the whole thing call again. First time I called the guy started some nonsense that I need a micro card, and this and that. I just called again swithed the IMEIs and canceled the data plan. I use the micro card with a plastic adapter in a SE W580i, and a normal card cut to micro size in the iphone 4.
    Good luck

3. anthony10292 macrumors newbie

1. Yes, I had to cut down a sim card to a microsim.
    2. I have not clue

4. egk69 thread starter macrumors 6502

Ok , So how much time should i wait to try to cancel the data plan? i have no problem paying 2 months or so, but if i can do it like after 1 month or sooner it would be better :D

and should I say I lost the phone? what if they find out im using it on another account would I get into trouble?

5. egk69 thread starter macrumors 6502

any more opinions someone like to make on this topic?

6. insidmal macrumors 6502

insidmal

Buy a new microsim and then call them and tell them the sim # and emei # for the phone and what account you want it on, or have someone in a store do it for you..

they only demand you get a data plan when they sell you the phone if the line who's upgrade you are using doesn't have one already, as far as the sim with your account, they don't know or care...

I used to do this all the time for people when i was the mgr at cell phone shop, just call and tell them the updated sim and imei #s and then that phone will work for your account..

yeah you can buy it on his acct, the sim just contains carrier info.. buy it on his and then activate it for yours.. they will make you buy the data on his if you use it but you can cancel it, they don't really have a way of knowing what phone you are using aside from the IEMI # and they don't even really need that for your phone to work, just the sim #..

My activation isn't up for another year and I ordered mine using my dads upgrade because he sees no need to upgrade his iPhone 3G, just when it comes going to call and give them the info and then plug it into itunes and it's good to go.. (make sure you call and update them with the new info BEFORE unbricking it in itunes)

7. jwittenmyer macrumors newbie

Do you know if this is allowed if the line you're switching it to is a pre-paid account? Also, is it better to call before activating or better to activate on the line your ordered with and then call to switch?

8. egk69 thread starter macrumors 6502

Thank You Guys, I will try this as soon as AT&T have some i4 to sell, cause right now they dont have any. I guess if i try to cancel the Data Plan and It doesnt let me I can Always return the phone (on a 30 days period)

9. Cottonsworth macrumors regular

2- If I buy a iPhone 4 and then I sell it and start using another phone (any POS not smartphone) can I cancel the Data plan!?

Yes, I did it with my 3G when I sold it while I was waiting for the 4 to come out. I also know someone else that has an iPhone 3G and uses it with AT&T without the data plan.

10. kenidaho macrumors newbie

If I have a AT T card for a windows mobile phone and I cut it down can I use it on a I phone 4 and can I tether my lap top to the I phone. I have an unlimited data plan

thanks