at&t iphone 4 help

Discussion in 'iPhone' started by applegreenhorn, Jun 2, 2010.

1. applegreenhorn macrumors newbie

I had a iphone last year and decided to try out droid phones. Well 3 phones later and i find myself wanting to go back to the iphone. I have a few questions and concerns, so be gentle: rolleyes:

1. Being that i was a at&t customer last november, will they grandfather me in with the $30 data plan or will i have to go with the new data plans being updated on 6/7?

2. IF I can go with the $30 plan, can I get a iphone(bestbuy) now and just return it when the new iphones comes out?

3.Or can I get a iphone 3gs now, then a few months from now sell the iphone 3gs on ebay to buy the iphone 4.

4.If all of the ideas fail and I just have to "bend over and grab my ankles" and go with the new iphone on 6/7,how much will 2gb of data give me.all i do is check email, occasionally surf the web, have push updates from various apps and watch a couple youtube videos a week?

Suggestions will be greatly appreciated:D:D:D

2. iMJustAGuy macrumors 68020

iMJustAGuy

1. Sorry, no. You will not be able to be grandfathered into your new contract.
    2. and 3. Yes with a new contract (since you obviously don't currently have one). I called and they confirmed this at an AT&T store. I don't know about best buy.
    4. I used pandora a lot and checked my normal websites through out the day and never hit even close to 500mb. I think we will be pushing it when the netflix app/ video conferencing comes out.

Honestly if you have the money now, I would get a 3Gs now and then get the 4th gen IF unlimited is really important to you.
    My ultimate advice is to just wait until launch because although I don't know your personal usage, I think you will be more than fine with teh 2GB limit.

The way I look at it is, if you have to question yourself about the limit then you should be fine because those who go over on a normal basis KNOW they need unlimited... (hope that makes sense)

3. applegreenhorn thread starter macrumors newbie

Okay, what your saying is that if i get a iphone now, at the at&t store, they will exchange it for the new iphone when it comes out(if it comes out within 30 days of my return policy)?

Also, i guess they will give me the $30 data plan now, then i will have to switch to the new data plan when it is released on 6/7?

4. maflynn Moderator

maflynn

Staff Member

5. iMJustAGuy macrumors 68020

iMJustAGuy

I don't work with AT&T but I called a local store this morning... this chick knew nothing about the new plans and neither did her employees, she was real friendly though... over the phone I walked her through MacRumors and to the ATT press announcement page and she asked for my name and number and was going to "give a couple people calls" and talk to a few "higher ups". I'm thinking this chick was a GM for the area because she said at one point "and my other stores..." anyway about 4 hours later she called me back and gave me details to the best of her ability... Long story short, that was one of the things she said I could do is buy the 3Gs and return it... she then recommended that just to save money for the time being just get the 3G.

So by what the lady at the Local AT&T store told me... Yes, it is no problem... she did say, however, that only corporate stores can take iPhone returns.

Statistically yes. Most people will save $5 a month a be happy, but there are still MANY people whom are getting a real sh*t taken on them by this deal... I personally have never been near that... but knowing that I am going to have to watch my usage... esp with the netflix app and video conferencing... just makes me a little upset. I'd rather spend the extra $5 and know that I'll always be "safe".

6. applegreenhorn thread starter macrumors newbie

Thanks for the info.

I decided to buy the iPhone now and return it when the 4g is released. The only thing that might screw me is if the new iPhone 4 is released passed my 30day return policy:(