AT&T iPhone 4 no Data?

Discussion in 'iPhone Tips, Help and Troubleshooting' started by iPhonemaster5S, Jun 20, 2013.

1. iPhonemaster5S macrumors 6502

iPhonemaster5S

Hey guys so my brother is planning on getting an iPhone 4 for himself off of eBay or amazon so he can replace his iPhone 3G. However his old 3G has a data block on it so it means that our parents don't pay for his data and he can't use data. If he gets a new iPhone do we just switch off the cellular data and it should work without AT&T automatically turning on the data? Thanks

2. MrMacMack macrumors 6502a

You'll have a glorified iPod unless your parents hook it into their AT&T plan.

3. TheAppleFairy macrumors 68020

TheAppleFairy

He should be able to take the sim out of the 3G and put it in the 4 and it will work the same. If he doesn't have data on the 3G he won't have it on the 4.

How did he get an iPhone on AT&T without a data plan? I imagine it was the same way? bought it from ebay and put the sim from a feature phone in it?

EDIT: does the 4 use the micro sim? He will have to cut the sim then.

4. Applejuiced macrumors Westmere

Applejuiced

If you're on monthly data plan AT&T requires an iphone data plan on any iphone used on their network.
    Once their system detects it they will add it automatically to the account.

5. dictoresno macrumors 601

dictoresno

they probably blocked the account from getting a data connection, not the phone itself. once the SIM card is pulled, and the new owner inserts their card, there shouldnt be an issue.

6. iPhonemaster5S thread starter macrumors 6502

iPhonemaster5S

The 3G was a hand-me down phone from me, he is just too impatient to wait for me to give him my 4S. As for cutting the sim can I go to the AT&T store for that?

They blocked the data for that number so what I was guessing was right then. So it should be a non issue which is good.

7. TheAppleFairy macrumors 68020

TheAppleFairy

Buy a sim card cutter. I used a sheetrock knife, but it wasn't easy, and could be dangerous.

There are a lot of websites with instructions.