AT&T iPhone 4 Off Contract

Discussion in 'iPhone Tips, Help and Troubleshooting' started by Resist, Oct 3, 2012.

1. Resist macrumors 68030

So I upgraded to the iPhone 5 and am wondering when my AT&T iPhone 4 will be unlocked by AT&T. The reps at the AT&T store couldn't tell me, but it seems since the phone is now not on a contract with them that it should be unlocked right away.

Does it make a difference for me to wait until the iPhone 4 is unlocked before selling it, or should I just sell it now?

2. Europa13 macrumors 6502

You might be able to sell if for more if you unlock it first. AT&T will unlock it for free or you can go with an eBay unlock for about $6. I didn't want to wait for AT&T, so I bought an unlock on eBay last night. If you have AT&T do it, I heard that the best way is to it is to do the online AT&T customer care chat with a representative.

3. Resist thread starter macrumors 68030

I'm curious why it being unlocked would increase the value? Because can't anyone get it unlocked later?

4. bun.bhay macrumors member

i was able to get my phone unlocked through at&t. i was told that it could take up to 24 hrs or a few days. come to think of it, i cant remember if i even got an email back or not haha. i waited 2 days, no email appears yet. so i was like screw it, let me give it shot. restored my phone and what do you know, a message..congratulations your phone has been unlocked. but its worth a shot since you already have the 5.

5. Resist thread starter macrumors 68030

I certainly will contact AT&T tomorrow but wonder if it's worth my time, because as I said anyone can get it unlocked since it's outside a contract.

6. bun.bhay macrumors member

once you have an unlocked phone it gives better resale value. the end user could use the phone on different carriers. ex. tmobile, orange, etc. if not, the phone would be locked to at&t's network. i think current or previous at&t customers can get it unlocked. so the buyer have to go through you, the seller, to get it unlocked. recommendation, unlock first then sell the phone.

7. Resist thread starter macrumors 68030

I'd like to confirm if only current or previous AT&T customers can only get a locked phone unlocked. I had the understanding that anyone can get an AT&T locked phone unlocked, as long as it was not in a contract. The key point being, that the phone has to not be in a current contract. And with that said, my old AT&T iPhone 4 (that is not in a contract), should have equal value locked or unlocked.